cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Folding wiring guard or tray for slide out?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
What is the technical name for the electrical cable management tray or guard on the slide out? In my computer room, all my gear uses a metal Z fold cable management tray that has 1 or 2 hinges to fold or unfold as gear is slid in and out of the rack.

My Keystone has a black plastic strip with wire guides attached that simply flexes as the slide comes in or out, to keep the wires from pinching. The "flex" part gave up within a year or 2, as the attachment points broke on one end, and then another year or so, the "flex" part gave up in the middle and broke in half. Continuing to try to tie the 2 halves with zip ties has proven surprisingly ineffective, as the ties break during driving, for some reason. No idea why, as they don't look like they should have any stress on them when the slide is retracted and we're traveling down the road.

Google search is not turning up a Z fold metal cable tray for the slide (yet) for me? I see some Lippert devices like this - "Lippert 1346281 Components Patented Flex Guard Kits" but would like to find something more substantial.

Found the original equipment replacement on Amazon:
Amazon Lippert Flex Guard

but reports of others said theirs broke just as quickly as mine, so assuming the same for me.

Looking to make or buy something like what we use in computer racks, but for fewer $$:
Amazon Computer Cable Management Arm
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
4 REPLIES 4

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
something more like this may work good flexible cable carrier

Good idea! Thanks!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:

I added a hinge at the center break point and its lasted for 5 years so far.

perfect! I tried to use zip ties as a hinge - they didn't last an hour in just driving, not open/close.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
something more like this may work good flexible cable carrier

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II

I added a hinge at the center break point and its lasted for 5 years so far.