cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford truck check engine light

CORNFED__5-0_
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to put this out there for others to be aware of.

I have a 2016 F450 with the 6.7 diesel, it is new...... So when the check engine light came on I was not happy. Lucky for me that I have a contact at a dealer where We buy all our fleet trucks from. Ford of Upland takes great care of us, Eric in the service department.

The owners manual says exhaust issue and gives driving instructions to correct this, no luck. I call Eric and he checks the codes I give him from my reader (Buy one if you do not have one) He gives me a list of possible issues including a factory assembly error.

Well the ford dealer in Richfield Ut could care less and could hardly take the time to talk to me until Tuesday, this was Wednesday afternoon, a week... Really..... Cedar City Ford said they were also too busy and did not know of a diesel repair facility in the area.

I cleared the codes and headed to Cedar City after talking to Eric and confirming no damage will be caused. He also got approval form Ford so that I could go to a private repair shop and it would be covered by my warranty.

Well in Cedar City, just a 1/4 mile from the FORD DEALER, WHO TOLD ME THERE WERE NO DIESEL REPAIR SHOPS IN THE CITY OTHER THEN THEM, I found Smiths Diesel Performance. They took my truck in and checked it out.

Well, remember the factory error I mentioned, Smiths ran my error codes and found a note about this. The wire loom is ran between the bed and frame and can get smashed. When it does it pops fuses, screws up the Knox sensors, EGT readings and stops the DEF system, cuts back the power to safe mode and can clog the exhaust filter, like it did me. And cak cause temperature somhimthat it can start your truck on fire....

Smiths fixed the wire, replaced the fuses and did a Manual Re-Gen of my DEF and exhaust system while I waited. And they were very buys but, knew I was just a passerby and was going to be stock at the KOA without a truck. They bailed us out when Ford tried to hang us out for four days asking me to just drop the truck off.... Not my first negative experience with that Ford dealer in Cedar City either.

This is listed in the Ford system as a "Fix as needed " or an "SSM" deal but not a recall. Guess someone needs to be killed before they correct their screw-up We were on the 70 west of Richfield Utah on a giant hill and almost got stuck in traffic on the two lane freeway.

If you have a 2012 or newer SuperDuty Diesel, check it out with your dealer or on line.

Just a heads up
Curtis.
Ruby Red 2016 F450 Crew-cab, 2008, 36' Cardinal.
Two daughters, Wife and me.

Retired with no free time!

ON THE SQUARE
6 REPLIES 6

CORNFED__5-0_
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLR, No blame on the brand, just dealer excuses. My dealer in Upland Cal, Ford of Upland and the service supervisor, Eric, are the best. I do feel that Ford is aware of an issue that could get people hurt or killed, should correct the issue. A notice should be sent to truck owners making them aware. It is a simple fix, 15 min and it is done.

I own way too many Ford trucks to dislike the brand.
Ruby Red 2016 F450 Crew-cab, 2008, 36' Cardinal.
Two daughters, Wife and me.

Retired with no free time!

ON THE SQUARE

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My local dealer was so eager to help me, that during wire harness recall, unknown to me they performed "15 pt safety check"
I wonder why they hold the truck for 2 hr to plug-in a fuse on the line.
In the "safety check" process they drop air filter clamp inside the turbo.
I noticed poorer performance on my way home, but fund disconnected vacuum line and did not run the truck for 10 days. Later I found ground turbo, but Walnut Creek Ford deny any responsibility.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our local Ford dealer could care less where you bought yours. If it has a problem they are eager to fix it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a sorry dealer, since you did not buy from them they could care less about you. I have the same problem with the Ford dealership in South Pittsburg, TN. They also sell Dodge/Ram and that is what they prefer, Ford service is an afterthought. After an incident where the service manager there verbally chewed me out for having the gall to bring in a truck I did not buy from them in for service, I drive to the Ford dealer in Winchester, TN who has no problem in servicing my F-250. So blame the dealer, not the brand. Ford has been very good to me when it came to any warranty issues with the last three Ford vehicles I have owned.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you found a sorry dealer!!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever hear the term "Stealership" ?