Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Tank Filling on City Water

avarusbrightfyr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to start by saying hello and I'm glad to be here!

I've been living in my travel trailer for nearly a year now in a trailer/RV park and haven't really been able to use it for the "recreational" part because I don't have a truck yet. Because of that, I've been on city water exclusively since I've had the trailer. A few days ago, I wanted to make sure everything on the boondocking side of things still worked, so I switched over to the RV side on the water selector and filled the tank and ran water through the pump to test things out. Everything seemed to work fine, so I emptied the tank and switch back over to city water.

However, now my fresh tank is continuing to be slowly filled while city water is selected. The rate of fill is much higher when RV is selected and much lower when on city water, so my assumption is that the selector valve is not sealing properly, but I'd like to get some input from more experienced RVers to make sure I'm not oversimplifying. I've read some things about faulty backflow preventers on the pump causing the fresh tank to fill, so I don't want to discount that just because it hasn't been used much at all.

Any input would be much appreciated!
2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA
39 REPLIES 39

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
ScottG wrote:
The water pump functions as a check valve and it isn't working right.
Most of the time the problem is the pump has sucked up a piece of junk from the tank (plastic bits form assembly).
If you're handy, simply take the head of the pump apart and rinse all the parts off (water off of course).
You probably wont even see the problem but it will work afterwards. If not, you're not out anything.

Possible ----could be check valve inside the pump (single diaphragm)

BUT OP didn;t have the problem UNTIL he messed with the FILL Valve

And ran water through the pump..

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
FILL valve.....if swapped from City To FILL with water supply on the o-rings in the FILL Vlave can get disloadged.....LEAK thru filling fresh water tank

I haven't used City Water connection since 2008
Always fill tank and use the pump
Consistant pressure/flow PLUS if pump short cycles you know you have a leak
(City water just continues to run until RV is flooded by unknow leak)

Using the fresh water tank/pump isn't just for boondocking!

Course with FILL Valve leaking thru the PUMP may continue to RUN because system pressure not high enough to shut pump off
Water from pump 'round-robin' thru Fill valve---low pressure depending on how bad FILL Valve leaks thru

It sounds like what Old-Biscuit is saying about the O-rings is what has happened. It's important to turn off the city water and depressurize the system by opening a faucet before turning your water selector valve. Not doing this is a common cause for losing an O-ring. Sounds like you'll need to disassemble the valve and replace one or more O-rings.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Most of the time the problem is the pump has sucked up a piece of junk from the tank (plastic bits form assembly).
If you're handy, simply take the head of the pump apart and rinse all the parts off (water off of course).
You probably wont even see the problem but it will work afterwards. If not, you're not out anything.

Possible ----could be check valve inside the pump (single diaphragm)

BUT OP didn;t have the problem UNTIL he messed with the FILL Valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
x2. It's all I use.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
FILL valve.....if swapped from City To FILL with water supply on the o-rings in the FILL Vlave can get disloadged.....LEAK thru filling fresh water tank

I haven't used City Water connection since 2008
Always fill tank and use the pump
Consistant pressure/flow PLUS if pump short cycles you know you have a leak
(City water just continues to run until RV is flooded by unknow leak)

Course with FILL Valve leaking thru the PUMP may continue to RUN because system pressure not high enough to shut pump off
Water from pump 'round-robin' thru Fill valve---low pressure depending on how bad FILL Valve leaks thru
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
avarusbrightfyre wrote:
I don't use the tank at all for the most part. I didn't want water just sitting in there.
Ok, but I thought you were testing for boondocking. You'll certainly use it for that. It takes months for the water to get 'disgusting.' I don't think my tank (which is nowhere near sunlight) ever has.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, no need to keep water in the tank if not using it, but I think the selector valve is not sealing fully. I donโ€™t have any experience with that because my trailer has the old school gravity fill port for the tank
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

avarusbrightfyr
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Don't know why you'd empty the tank.

I don't use the tank at all for the most part. I didn't want water just sitting in there. I would imagine the water would get disgusting after a while since it's not a sealed system. Bacteria and all that.
2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know why you'd empty the tank.