cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace left on while storing TT

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure I left my furnace in the on position in my TT this weekend and we are a two hour drive away. The gas is turned off so it won't be using gas but the battery is charged and hooked up so it has power to it. Is it just going to run when the temp gets low enough to kick it on? Will the furnace sense that there isn't any gas and cut off? I'll be back out at the RV in two week but I'm debating if I need to drive back out before then and cut it off.

Thanks, Rex
15 REPLIES 15

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Furnaces built in the past 15 years or so will auto shut off after 3 tries. Doug

Doug to the rescue again, it is a 2006 so it should shutoff automatically. Thanks Doug, you have been a great help.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Your CO meter, and possibly your radio will drain the battery, with phantom loads.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Furnaces built in the past 15 years or so will auto shut off after 3 tries. Doug

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I just replaced electronic board on Atwood furnace in my camper and factory board would keep the fan running forever. It will stop igniting after 3 attempts, but fan keeps on running.
I replaced the board with Dinosaur and that one does have fan off option.
Had to run new jumper wires to run fan power via board.
I don't think I would make designated 2 hr trip to turn the fan off as those motors have very long life span, but don't wait too long neither.
My lifetime experience is that when you leave something hook up, sooner or later something WILL go wrong.
My best remedy is pull the clamps off and that is good for 6 months for starting batteries, while deep cycle batteries hold the charge for 12 month.
With 2 hr drive to storage why not take batteries home and monitor them at least once a week?
Set on garage floor will not spill acid on critical trailer parts and will have much lower risk of fire.

Our TT is dual purpose, during deer season it will be parked, otherwise I have storage 5 mins from the house and we will be camping with it. We are going to be out there 4 out of the next 5 weekends so I left it there since minus next weekend we are there consecutive weekends. After skimming through the suburban user manual tonight, it appears that the fan will cutoff automatically after 3 attempts, so I should be ok thankfully. Hopefully this will be a free learning experience.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just replaced electronic board on Atwood furnace in my camper and factory board would keep the fan running forever. It will stop igniting after 3 attempts, but fan keeps on running.
I replaced the board with Dinosaur and that one does have fan off option.
Had to run new jumper wires to run fan power via board.
I don't think I would make designated 2 hr trip to turn the fan off as those motors have very long life span, but don't wait too long neither.
My lifetime experience is that when you leave something hook up, sooner or later something WILL go wrong.
My best remedy is pull the clamps off and that is good for 6 months for starting batteries, while deep cycle batteries hold the charge for 12 month.
With 2 hr drive to storage why not take batteries home and monitor them at least once a week?
Set on garage floor will not spill acid on critical trailer parts and will have much lower risk of fire.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Mine will attempt to light and if it fails because of no gas, it quits trying. Fan will shot off after a few minutes, and it won't attempt a restart unless I move the thermostat back and forth.

What brand do you have?

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Flyfasteddie wrote:
Had the exact same thing happen to mine. I had taken the motor home to the dealer to have some unrelated work done on the fridge and for some reason they turned on the thermostat while they were in there. I brought the rig home that night. The next morning I went out to hear the fan running. I could tell it was running because the bushings had gone out on the fan motor (from running non-stop for 14 hours or so) and it was squealing like a banshee. I ended up having to replace the motor. Granted this was not a new motor and it would have done the same thing eventually, but I certainly did not appreciate having the process sped up for me.

I would make the drive and turn it off if it's likely to be cold enough to kick on the thermostat. The gas won't run, but you may shorten the life of the motor.

Interesting....unfortunately I couldn't make the drive today and I'm not sure I can make it out this week.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
If it's like mine it will try to light 3 times then the fan will just keep running till I turn it off at the thermostat. Mine is an Atwood.

Flyfasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
Had the exact same thing happen to mine. I had taken the motor home to the dealer to have some unrelated work done on the fridge and for some reason they turned on the thermostat while they were in there. I brought the rig home that night. The next morning I went out to hear the fan running. I could tell it was running because the bushings had gone out on the fan motor (from running non-stop for 14 hours or so) and it was squealing like a banshee. I ended up having to replace the motor. Granted this was not a new motor and it would have done the same thing eventually, but I certainly did not appreciate having the process sped up for me.

I would make the drive and turn it off if it's likely to be cold enough to kick on the thermostat. The gas won't run, but you may shorten the life of the motor.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lifespan of batteries- faq
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info....Good and bad news I guess. The good is, we have 30 amp power at our deer lease where the trailer is being stored so I really don't need the battery....I was more worried about permanent damage to the unit which it sounds like it won't hurt it. That battery was slated to be replaced this year anyway so I may just wait until the weekend after next when we are already going out there. Question about the battery getting damaged....Can someone explain why draining it like this will damage it?

Also if it matters, the furnace we have is a suburban SF30F.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will attempt to light and if it fails because of no gas, it quits trying. Fan will shot off after a few minutes, and it won't attempt a restart unless I move the thermostat back and forth.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should make 3 attempt to light off then SHUT DOWN.......gas valve/sparking secured and fan can continue to run because t-stat set point as not be satisfied.

But it will only run UNTIL battery power is drained which is NOT good for battery

I see a 'road trip' in your near future :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
You better go back and flip the switch and disconnect your batteries, or they will be stone dead next time you come out, and possibly permanently damaged.

Create a checklist for yourself to go through every time, before leaving. Turn off propane, turn off all lights, including in closets, and all fans, turn off battery switch or completely disconnect batteries... this is after dumping and cleaning out black water and gray water tanks and emptying your fresh water tank or treating it with chlorine, and draining your water heater.