cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas tank repair

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone repair a plastic fuel tank successfully? Some road debris hit the bottom of ours and created a small hole , it's bigger than just a drip. Salvage tanks for Expy El are almost impossible to find and new ones are dealer only and $1300!! I would love to just repair the easily assessable hole on the bottom and be done, but all I read are mixed reviews if it can be done.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008
15 REPLIES 15

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
Anyone repair a plastic fuel tank successfully? Some road debris hit the bottom of ours and created a small hole , it's bigger than just a drip. Salvage tanks for Expy El are almost impossible to find and new ones are dealer only and $1300!! I would love to just repair the easily assessable hole on the bottom and be done, but all I read are mixed reviews if it can be done.
I had a small hole years ago in a metal tank, in Co. late at night, The boys at the station didn't know what to do, so I took a short metal screw cut a small sq. of rubber tube, screw into the hole, sold the car a year later work great, good luck.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
I would either have it repaired by a pro or replace the tank.
No way am I going to "see what works" on a gasoline tank.

Finally, some semblance of sanity..

Folks, for goodness sakes, you ARE messing around with a highly flammable liquid fuel!!

You are also dealing with a fuel tank that by the Fed requirements IS PRESSURIZED in order for the Evap system to work correctly.

You are playing a dangerous game if for any reason the "fix" fails either in an accident or sitting in traffic.

That "fix" will be very weak at best and once the glue becomes unstuck has the potential to spray fuel.. Lots of HOT as in RED HOT parts under the chassis.. Things like exhaust pipes, cat converters and such.. Wouldn't take much spraying fuel hitting a hot exhaust pipe to roast your vehicle!

As much as it hurts, SPEND the stupid money and get a NEW TANK!!!

You do realize that your vehicle insurance MAY have picked up part of the cost for a new tank? If you have comprehensive coverage the insurance company might have actually payed for the repair minus the deductible.. Had a few windshields replaced that way over the years myself due to getting rocked..

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck with Seal All also. It works even on an active leak, it just takes a couple of coats. I have fixed several gas tanks and even fuel lines and had them last for years.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would either have it repaired by a pro or replace the tank.
No way am I going to "see what works" on a gasoline tank.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've bar soaped a split, then cleaned around the split, soap still plugging the hole then prepped the area and slapped a JB Weld soaked patch right onto the soap plug. Held for a few decades. Gasoline does something to the soap - it'll plug a pretty good-size leak. Fiberglass resin does like soap as well. But JB Weld is pretty stout stuff.

MrWizard
all the methods above are viable
BUT
this is a flammable fuel tank
there are fumes and residue , even if empty

IF you decide to try the plastic welding
put water in the tank
you don't want heat from the plastic welder tip near gasoline fumes

even for the other methods, it will be best if the tank is empty
gas is a solvent, and many epoxies and glues will not set up in the presence of gasoline,
there are gas tank epoxy repair kits, one of those might work
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic tank repair suggestions:
Marine Tex
Plastic welder
Permatex gas tank repair epoxy with fiberglass fabric.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How big is the hole? Can you use a sheet metal screw and sealing washer on it?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
I've use EternaBond Tape. It's lasted for 4 years, so far, leak-free, on the bottom of a plastic tank.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Stop Dripping
Rub a bar of bath soap vigorously across the damage
Drain tank.
Use tire tube patch cleaner around area
Scuff roughly with rude 90-grit sandpaper
Apply fiberglass swatch soaked with expoxy resin
JB Quick weld works fast and permanent

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A plastic welder may be able to repair it. Depends a lot on the material. If the tank is ABS, there are various repair methods available that have the ABS solvent and ABS material.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
A fiberglass repair kit may work. I have used fiberglass for many different plastic repairs.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B