cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac 36 in the Lance TC

Aussiecowdog
Explorer
Explorer
The shop reported just now the engine has seized. They are not enthusiastic about repairing it. But things are not entirely hopeless since I've unstuck engines before on really old International Farmall engines. I mean really stuck.

PB Blaster and a little time. The rings and oil control ring may be toast but I just need to find the specs and mic the details. I don't know how it would get stuck because I exercise the engine once a month. Oh well. Maybe a fabbed truss for a Honda will work, w/o AC.
13 REPLIES 13

bassthender
Explorer
Explorer
Hey man,I might be interested in buying it from you for parts if you still have it as I am trouble shouting mine right now and it may be the inverter that I need. I live in Fort Worth and could come look at it as soon as this weekend if you want.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
When I removed my Generac generator I changed the space to storage and then did this. For me this works great.

Here are some pictures of my generator setup with my Honda eu3000.

I bought a cargo rack from I think TSC which was plenty heavy duty, I think rated for 500 pounds. Then I bought a front receiver hitch from curt for $115.00 delivered to my front door. You will notice in the picture I had a welder weld metal plates into the base of the generator. Slid underneath, nothing is welded to the generator but the cargo rack and generator are one. Then I lock the cargo rack in with the highest quality locking pin I could find. I use this rig on the back of my 5th wheel setup and on the front of my truck camper setup. When not in the receiver hitch everything is accessible for working on the generator. I have been using this, this way for 9 years and many many thousands of miles with no problems. A couple other points I like is the extra storage in the outside compartment of my TC. Setup this way it takes about 100 pounds off the rear tires. I also put a blue tote on either side of the generator on long trips to haul drinking water and other gear. Also the honda runs smooth and quietly, I can barely hear or feel the vibration when running. I keep 2 Co detectors in my TC and with this location I feel comfortable sleeping with the generator running.

NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Aussiecowdog
Explorer
Explorer
The flywheel magnets are out of alignment, one broken. It's a mess. On to a 2000w unit!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Naw I know what you mean but US versus Japan and their Honda gensets and what have we got to show for it? China is a junk store but an affordable junk store. Japanese workers take home pay is substantially higher than a a USA workers and we're "stucked" with Generac and Briggs & Stratton? We've got unbeatable Caterpillar, Concorde Lifeline, and Premier Supertanium bolts ans nuts, but the list of excellence is damned short and growing shorter. Germany makes better screwdrivers than Snap-Off for less money. Their workers are paid higher wages.

USA industry is Poohing The Scrootch and it's sad. A stupid Hubbell 15-amp makeup plug for fifteen dollars? Gimme a break. Check out the prices on Fastenall, Thomas & Betts, et. all and get nauseated. Without sales to the federal government these idiots would go under.

But then gain there is a company marketing a gold plated version of an eighteen dollar nylon 120vac receptacle with the claim ABSOLUTELY THE LAST WORD IN AUDIO REPRODUCTION FAITHFULNESS. You're supposed to plug-in your ninety dollar gold plated power plug there.

You cannot fix "stupid..."

HOWEVER HOWEVER HOWEVER

Thanks for the tip on the magnetic fan. I'm going to buy some!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, you've got to remember that a lot of **** is also built overseas. IMO, the US hasn't cornered the market on poor quality. What we are good at is designing inferior goods, having the Chinese build them, and selling them as a quality product. If you get the chance, visit a Northern Tools store. They started as a seller of inexpensive mechanical products but now have the store filled with facsimile goods that return better profit. I believe the Generac line is one of their flagship products.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Many US products are the laughingstock of the world, Tecumseh small motors, Generac, are two of them. What has happened to "Caterpillar" excellence? So /fussy they manufacture their own fasteners. A neighbor purchased a brand new Caterpillar back hoe. "Enrinque why did you spend ($90,000 dollars in pesos). A Kubota, Case, or Mahindra would have been a lot cheaper"

"Not if they're broken"

The Japanese worker's wages are significantly HIGHER than US worker's wages. Yet America cannot produce a consumer generator with a ****. Are Americans too stupid to produce world class quality? I take that question back - the word Detroit plucked it's magic twanger, happy campers. Don't know if you realize it or not but if Japan or Korea decides to build RV's the RV industry in the USA can lean over and kiss it's --- goodbye.

Aussiecowdog
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about that. For years we've suffered through the noise and vibration and now I can make a clean break.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You might look around for one with a bad inverter- either sell yours or buy it.
-- Chris Bryant

Aussiecowdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I'll tear into it in the coming weeks. I'm strongly considering a Honda or Yamaha 2000w replacement and fab the existing genny box to properly secure the 2000w unit. Then also changing out the AC to a lower amp unit.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Please post how this turns out. Good fortune to you.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
seized could also say .. broken rod.. and crankshaft will not rotate..
and yes.. a engine ran once a month would not lockup.. unless ...

also could be hydraulic lockup... fuel leaked into cylinder and filled it up.. stopping engine from rotating.

and maybe Water leaked into air filter assembly.. and intake valve was open... filling cylinder with rain water...locking engine.

remove spark plug and rotate engine by hand and a socket wrench.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
PBBlaster works greats on rusty nuts and bolts. Let us know if it works for you on your genny.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!