cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac Failure Again

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
For the second time I have had a Generac generator stop producing electricity due to a major failure. The first was on my National Dolphin after about 340 hours the stator went out.
This time on my 2002 Tradewinds the Generac LP65 had rotor failure after 315 hours. I was able in both cases to remove the genset and repair it myself. But this time it was quite frustrating.
After teardown and reassembly today was the day to reinstall it. Got everything back in place and hooked up. Started the unit and it ran fine.....but still not producing electricity. After doing all the diagnostics again everything seemed to check out except current draw thru the rotor rings.
Well the new OEM brushes and holder were the problem. It seems that the mounting ears are a little too thick and allow the lower brush to contact both rings at the same time. Therefore no flash voltage and no power.
After grinding down the ears a little and reinstalling everything works.
Just sharing and venting in case anybody else is changing their brushes and runs into problems. I've also advised Generac.
www.threedogsandus.com
18 REPLIES 18

Billieg2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for giving me another thing to worry about....
In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
The engines in both cases have run like champs, but not so with the generator sections.
www.threedogsandus.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which is sad cause Genrac's industrial size are decent "Transmissions"

(This comes from a sort of joke, The office I used to work at was a site that absolutely, positively HAD to have reliable power.. So we had a natural gas fueled big block Chevy V-8 with a Genrac Transmission.. Worked good too).

(I mean LIVES depended on that generator).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, Generac has always seemed to be the Yugo, of generators.