cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator putting out 18 Hz?

JandKSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again! Man, I've been running down one problem after the next on this old generator we have. I finally got it running after a no-start and then a broken fuel line. Still need to fix the muffler. But now this:

I got the generator running and hooked up, with power going to the RV. It wouldn't run our AC, though, so I hooked up our surge protector that reads the voltage and frequency and all that.

It says 102 V, 18 Hz.

What could that possibly be? Maybe one side of the AC is dead? I checked the connections at the box, they look good. Could it be the brushes? I'm starting to wonder if I should just start budgeting for a new generator. lol

Again, your help is really appreciated. Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

MrWizard
i think your surge protector is out of whack

18 hz just slightly above 1/5 of speed,
is your generator really running at only 800 rpm ? normal speed is 3600rpm big big difference, way beyond { i think its running slow } more like "it barely runs and voltage is 50v"

now IF one pole in the windings was dead (2) pole generator
full speed would show 30hz and halve speed 1800 rpm would show 15hz

yes vltage islow and speed probably needs adjustment

just plug in a box fan or something and see how fast it turns or doesn't
that will give you a working idea of whats going on
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a governor issue. It regulates generator RPM to get you your 60 Hz. Depending on how old, could be mechanical or electronic.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
From his previous posts it is a 4kw ONAN
BGE
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with naturist, it is probably running to slow, the 102 volts is low which gives a hint that it is slow, there should be a way to speed it up. not knowing the brand there is really no way to osmos the problem. Good luck and Happy Camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I would not budget for a new genny. I would take it to a generator repair shop and have it gone over. The new ones are poorly built compared to the one you have.
Even the new Cummins/Onans have really been cheapened up compared to what you have.
But I think it may be the voltage regulator
Go to flightsystems.com and find their troubleshooting guide. Notice they offer free technical support at certain times of the day
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
With no other details, one can only cast a wild guess. Mine: not running at proper speed, too slow.