cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Questionds

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a generator that is reliable, inexpensive and will run 13,500BTU AC, microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and PC.

I've been looking at the Champion generators and Camping World has one being offered on sale right now for $299. It's the Champion 3650 Watt Portable Generator, 49-State
Catalog Item # 95895. It produces 4500 starting watts and 3650 running watts and is only 98 pounds and noise level is 68 dB.

There are no reviews on it so I don't know what to think. I have read reviews on the 7500W model and there is a guy that was running two 15kBTU AC's, microwave, refrigerator, big screen TV with DireTV receiver, yadda, yadda, yadda..... and all at the same time.

I could do the 7500W but living alone means I'd be trying to set up a 220 pound generator by myself.

The Honda's are way out of my price range and I get that they're very well made but they're not worth double the price, and sometimes more, of their competition.

Is this too small for what I want to do and does anyone have experience with the Champion lineup? I've heard that they've redesigned their units to compete with Honda.
28 REPLIES 28

portablevcb
Explorer
Explorer
For additional info.

When we had our old trailer with 13k A/C I used a Yamaha 2400 generator to run it. The newer A/C's have bigger capacitors for starting so use less surge. I did have to set the fan to on rather than auto. Trying to start the compressor and the fan at same time was too much for it. Needless to say, not much else could be turned on when the A/C was running. Refrigerator and water heater set to run on propane. The other nice thing was, at 75lb, I could lift it into the back of the truck (barely).

For our current trailer am looking at dual Champion 2000's or Ryobi 2200's.
2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2017 Jayco Eagle 29.5BHOK
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I just got 3500/4000 Champion and have about ten hours on it. it works great and really not that loud. i'm going to make a box for mine out of furnace ducting the insulated foil backed stuff. should be able to fold it down and store easy. I got the one with the remote start how sweet it is, just push the key fob button to start or turn off.
Jay D.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you bought a Champion... I have three and never had to work on them. I bought a 4000-watt when Champion first came out, and it still runs like new.

One bit of free advice, always run the carb dry if you shut it down for a few weeks or months. Keep it serviced well and it should last a very long time.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
As I get older the Electric Start and Dual Fuel for twice the run time on a tank of LPG was real enticing.

TIMES 2
I have a champion 4000 open frame that I used for my A/C at deer camp when it was 110 out. 6 years old and works fine. But I bought a champion 3400 inverter dual fual (3 fuel if you count natural gas) remote start. I bought it from Super Gen Products in Azusa Ca. from Paul Sr. 1-8generator Great guy sent me a high altitude jet for when I'm up at my property, he installed an hour meter for free. I just got back from a 10 day camping trip with the grankids. Remote start is awsome, very quiet. I only used it a few times for the microwave and the furnace in the A.M. as we have a great solar system. But for the $$ and the extra features, I don't think you can go wrong with this machine.
Mel

Moved from Technology Corner

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
don't worry about the 100w thats less than 1 amp difference
and its only a Branding thing
so the camping world model and the home depot model have different stock numbers
because home depot wanted it that way

there are more HD stores than CW stores, and IF HD wants something they can tout as an exclusive or even a different color (what ever) they have the buying clout to get a MFG to do that for them

I can guess, that distribution also plays a part
CW probably gets theirs from CPE warehouse
and HD probably gets a whole shipment via containers delivered from the DOCKS directly to their warehousing

The indicated wattage difference is strictly a marketing ploy. Camping World and Cabela's sell a 3500 Watt Inverter/generator and everyone else sells a 3400 watt unit. According to comments from a Champion "Tech" they are the same units with different markings for those companies. Since there is reserve capacity in all generators, over and above the marked capacities, it's easy for a company with large purchasing power to request (demand) a higher wattage marking so they can fool the consumer into thinking THEY have the better product. In the real world 100 Watt's is nothing. One extra 100 watt light bulb extra.

The main issue in a generator/inverter is whether it will start your heaviest inductive load which for most of us is the A/C unit. In my case I can start and run my A/C unit off a 15 amp "wall socket" so having an Inverter that delivers 25 amp or more is enough. (3100V-3400W) The rest is a "numbers game".

FWIW, my old 3500/4000 Watt Champ open frame is still running strong after 10 years. My new 3500W Champion Inverter is due Wednesday. As I get older the Electric Start and Dual Fuel for twice the run time on a tank of LPG was real enticing.
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it also has a lot to do with "price matching". It's easy for them to say that the product number is different, which is what Lowe's said. I told them I'd drive another 30 minutes to save $10 and get one that had 4500W start up over the 4000W. They price matched. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MrWizard wrote:
so the camping world model and the home depot model have different stock numbers

there are more HD stores than CW stores, and IF HD wants something they can tout as an exclusive or even a different color (what ever) they have the buying clout to get a MFG to do that for them

and HD probably gets a whole shipment via containers delivered from the DOCKS directly to their warehousing

MrWizard

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all of the positive feedback. I went over to Lowe's today and bought the Champion 4000W/3400W for $319.99 (they price matched the cheaper Camping World price). Not sure why the continuous wattage is 3400 instead of 3500 like the ones at Camping World.

I originally was looking at the Generac but saw a lot of negative reviews on it regarding them being hard to start, even when new. I've seen nothing but positive reviews, both here and online, on the Champions that are $100 cheaper for a comparable unit.

Again, thanks!

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the champion model 4000/3500 since 2009 and its still going strong, I would say that's pretty reliable. I have it on the back of the motor home on a cargo carrier. When the air conditioner is on I can't hear the generator running. Mine will run a 13,500 a/c and 1100W micro at the same time and you can hear the generator as it increases in rpms.
The only thing that I have done to it is replace the pull cord rope that broke.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

MrWizard
i run my a/c with my champs

full throttle is not correct, constant 3600 rpm is correct
it will open the throttle and use more gas when the a/c is running
but unless it is only 80F my a/c doesn't cycle much
at 103F it doesn't cycle at all
either type generator will be using all the fuel needed for 'That Engine' to produce electrical power
and at this point the difference is 'quite' small around 10 percent fuel savings when running a constant a/c load for hours on end, say 6 hrs straight from 1pm to 7pm, there is NO cycling and NO extra 'low load' fan only power use

we full time, and i charge batteries and use the MW, year round
the inverter model gives us reduced noise level and reduced fuel use during the 6 months we don't need A/C

during the summer the advantages are not nearly as great , if we were hot year round, i probably would not bother with the extra cost of the inverter model
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
roadjunkie wrote:
Thanks kerrlakeroo.... They're also twice the price of the open frame units and I can't think of any reason that I would want to convert 120V to 12V. Isn't that the only difference in a generator/inverter combo. If I had deep pockets, which I don't, I'd go for the smaller, enclosed units like the Honda or Yamaha. Even Champion has some of the smaller enclosed inverter combos but they're quadruple the price for half to wattage.

I'm really hoping to hear from those who have used a generator similar to this one; open framed and around 3500W to 4000W.

kerrlakeroo wrote:
Unless you want lots of noise and to burn twice as much gas as needed look at inverter generators. In eco mode engine speed is controlled by demand to conserve fuel, which also minimizes noise.
Also the inexpensive models such as you listed have open frames, which makes them even louder.

The inverter units advantage as Mr wizard stated is that they throttle down as demand for power decreases.
If you run both a 3600 watt open frame and a 3400 inverter unit from champion side by side with both under a full load, as he stated they will both function, although the power from the inverter is supposedly a little cleaner. But where the fuel savings shows up is in real world usage, your ac is not a constant full load, and the open frame unit will still be running full throttle even when only your interior fan is running. The inverter unit will reduce its rpm's to only enough to make sufficient power for the fan, hence it uses less fuel and makes less noise.
You can use an open frame unit, it will work fine, but if you ask the folks using inverter genny's why they switched, the reasons I stated jump to the forefront, thats why I changed my mind when buying to the closed frame inverter unit, the little champion remote start is especially nice since it sleeps in the truck bed and starts in the morning from inside the TT.
Happy motoring.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really meant to post a video on your own google drive?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
the Open frame models, can NOT BE PARALLELED to provide more power
that is the province of the electronic syncing circuits of the inverter model generators
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s