cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator quits while driving rv

Steven_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 National Surfside which we bought one year ago and recently tried to run the generator while driving. The chassis battery indicator light started flashing and then after running 3-5 minutes the generator stopped running. I did not try it again but not sure what to check. Once we stopped I cranked the generator again and it ran fine without the chassis motor running. Any help would be appreciated of what to troubleshoot.
4 REPLIES 4

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Gasoline "boiling"....more likely the float gets stuck.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan 2800 will run for a while in hot weather while I'm stationary and then shut down but will start up again but will produce a strong gasoline odor whether it's running or not. I assume it's the gasoline boiling out of the carburetor?

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
My Rexhall would do the same thing when driving in hot weather, it would overheat and shut down. I removed the metal door behind the storage door that housed the generator and that would help keeping it cooler.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When mine did that, the oil level was not full. It wasn't low, but it wasn't full. When I was going uphill (or downhill, I don't remember) the oil would flow away from the oil level sensor and the generator would die. When I topped off the generator's oil level, it never happened again.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB