cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator

shooer2
Explorer
Explorer
generator unning fine but no electric power. tried resetting brakers. what next?
10 REPLIES 10

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to Cummins/Onan and download the trouble shooting guide if you don't have the manual.

First step, check for power on the line side of the CB.

Second step check for power on the load side of the CB.

Third step check for power on the line side of Automatic Transfer Switch.

Forth step, check for power on the load side of the ATS.

Fifth step, CB panel should be the next load to test.

If you can follow these instructions, eventually you'll find the open. If you have problems following these steps, hire someone who can follow them.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a trick question?

Based on my analysis, I have concluded the OP has a "oman marquis 5500" - whatever that is. :Z

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My foot hurts, can anyone tell me the next thing to try? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

chainegang
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan Microlite 2800 AC generator that not only has a circut breaker switch on the generator but also has an automotive type glass tube type fuse with a glass center to view the condition of the core. Broken core = blown fuse. Have had the exact symptons and corrected with a replaced fuse.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What type of generator.. Portable or Installed. in both cases make and model.

Unable to answer with out more info.> Will post one generator

Onan RV generators (installed) are "Smart" if they are running they ARE making power. this power goes (normally) first to an Automatic Transfer switch which holds off 30-90 seconds and then CLUNK connects the generator.. Normally.

IF this is an RV install that's the first place I'd look

Portables.. More complex

NOTE: Some RV's (some older ones) have a "Manual Transfer Switch) this is a 30 or 50 amp RV outlet often near the generator you MANUALLY transfer the shore plug to this outlet to use the generator.

NOTE on Auto switches.
DO NOT HOT SWITCH
SHut off power. wait 3 minutes before either starting generator or turning on shore power... Multiple reasons for this. Life of ATS is one of 'em. hot switching with an A/C on can weld the contacts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
shooer2 wrote:
generator unning fine but no electric power. tried resetting brakers. what next?
Post the Brand, Model, Serial number.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
3 things to check without specific information on your genset.

1) The genset itself probably has breakers on it. Make sure they are on. If they are off, you will get no power.

2) Most RVs have a 30 or 50 amp receptacle that is the power output of the generator. Your shore power cord will plug into that, or be plugged into shore power. This way you can't be plugged into both at the same time - the plug only goes into one source - shore or the generator. Make sure your shore power cable is plugged into the generator outlet.

Unless...your RV has an auto switchover between shore power and generator.

3) Check the breakers at the power distribution panel inside the RV.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Is the genny one that you have used before, and recently started malfunctioning?
Does it have any outlets mounted on the unit that you could try plugging something directly into without use any of the RV's circuitry?

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Need more information to give you a good answer. Stand alone generator?, in a Class "A", "B", or "C" or trailer? Does it have auto switchover or do you have to plug the power cord into the generator?

shooer2 wrote:

Possibly your Stator is bad ??
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet