cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators used in high altitudes

rving4us
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if the Champion Inverter generators will run in the Canadian Rockies and Alaska? Will be there this summer and will need ti use a generator at times.
Thanks
2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC, Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo37ks3,17.5 tires,disc brakes,full body paint.
41 REPLIES 41

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Chum Lee,

Maybe Scrooge McDuck can raid his money bin?

My Harbor Fright 700 watt 2-stroke makes sense. My Kubota makes sense but spending more money than it's worth to save X Fuel raises my eyebrows.

Slowly but surely generator quality is rising. Honda and Yamahahahaha need stiff competition and India is entering the game. They can if they want build stuff on par with Honda.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
I'm just waiting for fuel injection to become an option in portable generators. I'll probably die waiting.

Well I suppose we could debate if the 261 lb Honda EU7000is is "portable" but it is fuel injected. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote: "I'm just waiting for fuel injection to become an option in portable generators. I'll probably die waiting."

No!!!!!! Don't die waiting. What you want is all ready here. Just not in the econo genny market! Do your homework. (search function)

Chum lee

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just waiting for fuel injection to become an option in portable generators. I'll probably die waiting.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote: "I wonder why carburetor'd portable generator manufacturers don't provide a manually operated altitude adjustment control like what our RV's built-in Onan generator has?"

Because it costs about $1.00 more in manufacturing costs to add an adjustable needle valve which is added to the initial cost of the genny. Some bean counter somewhere made that decision for you. As I mentioned in my original post, we are dealing with econo genny thinking here. Not top of the line. The econo genny mfgrs know that their customers will probably just buy another one of their (bigger) gennys if the one they currently have doesn't work right. Welcome!!!

Chum lee

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I agree.
Like handing a six-year-old a Skilsaw.

It's a different (digital) mentality now - if it malfunctions and fails to respond to pinching or scrawling a screen rebooting or inserting a toothpick into the "reset" hole they are utterly lost. There is an archaic descriptive word that is seldom seen these days - tampering.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I wonder why carburetor'd portable generator manufacturers don't provide a manually operated altitude adjustment control like what our RV's built-in Onan generator has?

Because the majority of them would never run. People love to turn screws, especially those that just need a tiny adjustment gets a few turns. Once it gets too far out they can't get it back to the point it will start much less be tuned.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder why carburetor'd portable generator manufacturers don't provide a manually operated altitude adjustment control like what our RV's built-in Onan generator has?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Friend purchased a Freightliner 3-axle, Detroit 400 HP engine, 13 speed road ranger. Loaded a 40' trailer, and outfitted the sleeper like a luxury suite. Pulled a three axle 40' fifth wheel loaded with way too much unneeded junk over Donner Summit I-80, in 10th and 11th gear, needed to back out of the throttle to maintain 60 mph.

I filled the tanks in Santa Rosa Ca. and again at Sierra Skids, truck stop in Sparks Nevada. I couldn't believe it - 18.1 mpg. This is where we parted. He continued to Yellowstone with Sharon, and I drove an F550 attached to a 38' 5th wheel to El Paso Texas for $1,000. This occurred back in 2000. The F550 got 13.3 mph and was a hell of a lot lighter gross weight.

Go figure...

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Especially if they don't run the emissions doing it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hey! I buy nothing but Clean Diesel VW TDI product! :B When trailering, all my regens are passive. Enough heat in the exhaust to keep the DPF burnt off clean, and free of soot buildup.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Especially if they don't run the emissions doing it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
NinerBikes wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Thanks pianotuna !
That is pretty impressive, that is about the same as I get pulling a 24' trailer with a 1/2 ton.

I drive a VW TDI with a 3.0L V6 diesel. Trailer is 21 feet long, about 4200 # wet. At 55-58 mph, I get 16.5 to 19.5 MPG every single trip. MPG's go up when I get on the 5500 foot plateau above St George, all the way up to Yellowstone NP.

Diesel has more calories, and doesn't suffer from elevation, in fact less wind resistance ups the MPG from sea level, significantly.

Wow, diesel burners sure are a lot more efficient than gas guzzlers.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Thanks pianotuna !
That is pretty impressive, that is about the same as I get pulling a 24' trailer with a 1/2 ton.

I drive a VW TDI with a 3.0L V6 diesel. Trailer is 21 feet long, about 4200 # wet. At 55-58 mph, I get 16.5 to 19.5 MPG every single trip. MPG's go up when I get on the 5500 foot plateau above St George, all the way up to Yellowstone NP.

Diesel has more calories, and doesn't suffer from elevation, in fact less wind resistance ups the MPG from sea level, significantly.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks pianotuna !