cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Cart Question...

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stumped. I have an older cart that I've had for two years, but only took it out about 4 times. Now the grand kids want it so I am trying to get it ready. Batteries (T-50)are of an unknown age and went all the way down over this last year. I have now charged each separately and 5 of the 6 show 6.78v and #6 is at 5.55. I then connected the cart charger and all seems good.... 35.43v and it actually moved forward and back, and then very very slowly forward about 30 feet and won't go any further. Stepping on the pedal it tries to move but lacks enough power. I plugged it in again and after it was charged again it moved about 75 feet then again no power to move. I recharged it and let it set over night.... The 5 batteries are reading 6.67 and the 6th is at 5.25v....Is this 1 battery causing the problem or is it more serious? should I spend $500+ for 6 batteries?

Your input please....

Thank you for your time and thoughts...
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad
46 REPLIES 46

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
mmiille wrote:
There is a place that has a forum with all you need to know about golf carts. They can help with most anything. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/

Great Site, didn't know about it. I have a Club Car. Thanks for letting me (all) know about the site.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
JAXFL wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Glad you got it fixed - sad it cost you a bundle. Kids understand proper battery charging?

They WILL, I am giving them a YouTube video also.

Big thing is to keep the water level up after charging. Best give them a YouTube on that also. Make sure they understand only distilled water is to be used.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Glad you got it fixed - sad it cost you a bundle. Kids understand proper battery charging?

They WILL, I am giving them a YouTube video also.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
After replacing the 1 and it only getting around the yard twice it became very clear that all needed to be done, so I did thanks for the buggy link.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
mmiille wrote:
There is a place that has a forum with all you need to know about golf carts. They can help with most anything.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/

X2 for the above. Clicky.

I'm guessing that they would have said to replace all the batteries if you can afford it. Just the one and equalize the bank if you're on the cheap.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JAXFL wrote:
Thanks Guys... Sam's Club Energizer GC2 6V's is what I just got.

The guys in my club swear by them for house batteries in their RVs.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
There is a place that has a forum with all you need to know about golf carts. They can help with most anything.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys... Sam's Club Energizer GC2 6V's is what I just got.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you got it working good but you will miss the chance to see three pre-teens pushing and one steering, lol. :B

Seriously, the G kids will love you forever for this. My boy and his buds thought they had the greatest thing in the neighborhood. We live in exurbia so there are some roadways and trails where safety isn't much of an issue. They had a blast.

BTW, I have Sam's Club Energizer GC2 6V's in the RV and they are doing fine after 3 years. IMO, these are good batteries.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
You probably could have gotten by replacing the one bad battery and equalizing the rest but you did the right thing by replacing all of them and keeping them all the same age and type.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
We'll I got 1 battery to replace the one with 5.25v......

I got to drive around the back yard twice before.....more s l o w I n g down....

Went and got 5 more and it looks like that is going to work.... Even the lights came on again.

Thanks everyone".....
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to stop at Sam's on the way home and get me one.....
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
That 6th battery with the voltage down in the low 5's is DEAD. Anything under 6.0V resting-after-charge is into the badly damaged zone. When the battery hits 5.0V it is beyond hope.

Put the voltmeter on that battery, then step on the pedal. I bet it goes straight to 0.

Replace the battery to prove this theory, and then decide if you want to replace the other 5. Best practice is to replace all 6 but redneck theory is to replace only what's broke.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.