Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Generator Deal?

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry bout that folks. Link fixed.

Their RWB is same price as well.

Free shipping. Sure wish I could justify a(nother) gen.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-BLACK-OUT-GENERATOR/2339044.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3Fc...
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL
65 REPLIES 65

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Maybe the OP likes to camp out in the middle of nowhere. If so, any generator the OP can tolerate themselves, noise-wise, is OK to buy and use.

The noise police always assume that a person interested in a "contractor grade generator" will be using it in a campground. That sometimes may not be the case. :S

Reminds me of the ole adage taht if a limb falls off a tree out in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, did it really make a noise. :B

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
To the OP; You have been warned. Do not spend your money the way that you want to. Do not let people know that you even considered a modern open frame generator that sounds nothing like the dozens of contractor generators that I have operated. Just because the US government recognizes that it meets their noise requirements, it does NOT meet the requirements of your fellow forum members. Take heed or expect everyone to hate you for owning such a device.

The good news is that it will not be stolen, with all the much more desirable red and blue generators silently making power in the parking lots of the world.

Yeah man...really got the folks all stirred up. A lot of assumptions on intended use. Nothing new here though. I'm sure there will be similar ones to follow. Thought the Champ had a pretty good following on here for various uses and just sharing what I believed was a fair deal.

Still stand by my original comment that if I didn't already have another gen I'd be tempted to pull the trigger.

Happy camping all...
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe the OP likes to camp out in the middle of nowhere. If so, any generator the OP can tolerate themselves, noise-wise, is OK to buy and use.

The noise police always assume that a person interested in a "contractor grade generator" will be using it in a campground. That sometimes may not be the case. :S
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP; You have been warned. Do not spend your money the way that you want to. Do not let people know that you even considered a modern open frame generator that sounds nothing like the dozens of contractor generators that I have operated. Just because the US government recognizes that it meets their noise requirements, it does NOT meet the requirements of your fellow forum members. Take heed or expect everyone to hate you for owning such a device.

The good news is that it will not be stolen, with all the much more desirable red and blue generators silently making power in the parking lots of the world.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
Many members must do a search on Champion every day and post the same negative comments without any consideration of how the OP intends to use their generator. Red, Yellow, or Blue generators can all be heard and be irritating in the wrong place at the wrong time. A Honda going full bore ten feet from one's open window is more irritating than a Champion humming a block away. Common sense folks. That particular generator is a real bargain for home backup and Walmart overnighting, Great for a cool lunch and nap in a rest stop. I have run mine while driving to pre-cool my trailer on the way to a campground with full hookups where the Champion will be truly silent. Something the other brands are not, when they are running.

OK and the OP offered nothing of the intended use.
If that generator was running near me when camping I would not be happy.
Too small to power my home during an outage.
On the road or truly boondocking away from anyone... have at it.
Yea it is a low price if that is all that matters.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP; the generator you're looking at is a loud open frame generator

Great for home backup power but too loud for a campground

You want to be looking at inverter type generators which are much quieter
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Add says it's ONLY 8dbabove normal speech.

It's also ONLY 2db under a vacuum cleaner.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If i did not already have a somewhat smaller genny for home back up , I would probably snab that one up.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Many members must do a search on Champion every day and post the same negative comments without any consideration of how the OP intends to use their generator. Red, Yellow, or Blue generators can all be heard and be irritating in the wrong place at the wrong time. A Honda going full bore ten feet from one's open window is more irritating than a Champion humming a block away. Common sense folks. That particular generator is a real bargain for home backup and Walmart overnighting, Great for a cool lunch and nap in a rest stop. I have run mine while driving to pre-cool my trailer on the way to a campground with full hookups where the Champion will be truly silent. Something the other brands are not, when they are running.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
rwjejits wrote:
...not sure why I continue to hang around here. What a bunch of downers as several others have mentioned lately.

Because when someone posts about a generator not appropriate for 95% of RVers to use on an RV forum because it's too loud/obnoxious you will get honest comments. What you don't understand is there are still some clueless folks that would buy something like this thinking it could be acceptable for normal RV use so the largely negative comments are IMO right on target for the audience reading this thread.

If you want only positive or mostly so comments then post on something like a contractors forum where noise is not an issue.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
rwjejits wrote:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-BLACK-OUT-GENERATOR/2339044.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3Fc...

if it's to be used for home backup power or camping at motor races or in the desert, SURE.

if it's to be used in a campground or near neighbors, HELL NO!:E

X2.

But if you still are considering open frame you'll get the same result here. I'd just wait until it comes back down to the regular price LOL?

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rwjejits wrote:

if it's to be used for home backup power or camping at motor races or in the desert, SURE.

if it's to be used in a campground or near neighbors, HELL NO!:E
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
i.like my champy

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
How to make friends, buy one of these

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
...not sure why I continue to hang around here. What a bunch of downers as several others have mentioned lately.
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great