cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Me Understand

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab with 5.3 engine with 77000 miles on it. I purchase this vehicle in April 2019.
I have driven it about 2000 miles and pulled my 23 trailer with no problems.
However, this Friday I noticed the Voltmeter was under 14 on the gauge and thought I might be having a alternator problem. After driving a couple of miles uo the road the gauge returned to plus 14. I did not change anything on the vehicle and it returned to what I consider normal or 14. I had a trip planned and since this is the first I have noticed this I thought It was better to cancel the trip until I determined exactly what if any was the problem. I put in a new interstate battery in November 2019. When i got home I checked the battery and it was 12.8 checked the alternator and it was 15.8. I let the truck sit for a few hours and checked the battery and it was still 12.8 checked the alternator and it was 15.8
Got the owners manual out and did not find anything that was informative on my situation.
Google different topic and found out on the SilveradoSirream.com web site that this is normal do to the economy mode system on the truck which has to do with the Fuel Magament System.

DOES ANYONE HAS A SITUATION WHERE THE VOLT GUAGE FLUCTUATES BETWEEN THE ONE ON THE 14 AND PLUS 14 ON THE GUAGE.

I Will be called the dealer in the am tomorrow. Thanks Ed
17 REPLIES 17

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's what a gauge is supposed to do.. Unlike the Ford ones which just sit at one position and is nothing more than a warning light..

Wish my gauges actually moved....

You are fine.. I think what you are saying is why Ford went to the non moving gauges...

Like I said, I wish my gauges actually moved..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
15.8 is to high for a CS144 Delco alternator. Love to. Help but impossible on this cell phone. Sorry.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing sounds out of the ordinary to me. The voltage will fluctuate based on the electrical needs of the vehicle at the moment, the state of battery charge, and what the electronics in the vehicle computer think is appropriate charging for the conditions. On many modern vehicles it does cycle the alternator under low load conditions once the battery is charged to help save fuel. Even without that, changes in electrical loads are entirely possible, such as from automatic headlights turning on or the radiator fan starting up or stopping. Your battery is getting charged while you're driving, clearly, so the system sure seems to be working as designed.

(I don't have a GM truck, but I certainly have noticed the voltage varying on my Honda Fit for various reasons while driving, and its charge system empirically has worked just fine in as much as the small original battery is still installed and working after 7.5 years and over 150K miles....)