Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help.repair questions butyl tape rubber roof adhesive

rferoni
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am currently putting back together the first TT I ever bought after discovering water damage. I am almost ready to put it back together and have a couple questions.

I see I can buy butyl tape in 3/4 and 1 inch widths. On my corner molding one side is probably a little over and inch wide while the other side is around 3/4 inch wide. Can I use the 3/4 tape(which seems more available at the local rv stores) or should I use the 1 inch tape?

Also do I put the tape on the molding or the trailer itself? Seems either way should work.

I want to use a truss/lath style screw to put the molding back on. Does anyone see an issue with this?

I also want to use the same screw (shorter length) to put the siding back on as the area is a little chewed up from pulling out all the staples of the siding we had to take off to repair the water damage. Any issues with using screws instead of staples for siding?

How are the marker lights/tail lights water proofed? What I mean is it seems some of the marker lights had the butyl on them and some had nothing(upper ones that were leaking). One was just caulked. I like the idea of using the butyl on all the lights. Is this correct?

I also had to peel back a couple feet of the epdm rubber roof. Can I find some type of adhesive that would work? I don't want to buy a gallon at $45 when I only need a cupful.

Ok so that was more than a couple questions. Would appreciate any advice if any of you have been there done that.

Oh yeah, FYI I will be using the butyl putty on all corner/gutter moldings. Then caulking where there is aluminum on aluminum with QUAD caulk from Home Depot(recommended by local rv tech) then using the Dicor caulk on anything touching the rubber roof.

Thanks,
Ron
0 REPLIES 0