cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Solar System in the larger Las Vegas area

hkury00
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime in an Artic Fox 24-5N and we would like to add a solar system to minimize generator usage. We will be in the larger Las Vegas area for a couple of month and we need some help. We would appreciate any recommendation in regards to sales and installation of solar panels, controller, AGM batteries and other components.

Thank you much!
H
2009 F350, V10, 4WD, LB, 4.10, SRW
Arctic Fox 24-5N
14 REPLIES 14

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Ray & June wrote:
dahkota wrote:
I'm not sure how large the 'Larger Las Vegas Area' is but Marv of Precision RV (also AM Solar) is in the Phoenix area right now. DH calls him the Rainman of Solar.

He installed the solar on our tt and then fixed the complete cluster f%*$ the dealer made of our system when they moved it to our current rig. We drove 2000 miles (from Florida to AZ) to have him fix it because, to be honest, we don't trust anyone else.

Last week, we had him install our new satellite dish (after waiting three months) because we don't trust anyone else attaching things to our roof.

Nina (of Wheelingit) has a great write-up about their experience here.

X2000!
Marv did our solar, changed the inverter, and installed AGM batteries for us last year.

I built and raced sports cars for years so I'm kind of anal about doing things right. Marv is as good as they come!

Yep! Totally agree! Marv did our install also. He's very knowledgable, clean & honest. We have 600W panels, magnum inverter/charger & RC50 Remote Control, Blue Sky Solar Boost MPPT & Blue Sky IPN ProRemote Meter, 4 AGM Batteries. We love it!!
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
My take on Las Vegas, NV, is that it is best viewed in the rear view mirror. Not Greater, or Larger, just keeps getting smaller and smaller, until it's gone.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As you alluded in the first statement there is nothing greater about LV... just larger. :B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't have much of anything done in Las Vegas unless I had to. It's not a town where integrity is common. First time I've heard the term 'larger' instead of 'greater'.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How many watts of panels do you expect to install?
150w? 500W? Have you measured what might fit while avoiding shadow issues?

Here are some panels to explore dimensions:

SolarBLVD.com

hkury00
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, lots of quality advice and information. Thank you all! I have a rough system in my head but now I have some homework to do. I would love to come back with a plan and have it commented by the many experts on this forum.
Again thanks and have a good day.
H
2009 F350, V10, 4WD, LB, 4.10, SRW
Arctic Fox 24-5N

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
I'm not sure how large the 'Larger Las Vegas Area' is but Marv of Precision RV (also AM Solar) is in the Phoenix area right now. DH calls him the Rainman of Solar.

He installed the solar on our tt and then fixed the complete cluster f%*$ the dealer made of our system when they moved it to our current rig. We drove 2000 miles (from Florida to AZ) to have him fix it because, to be honest, we don't trust anyone else.

Last week, we had him install our new satellite dish (after waiting three months) because we don't trust anyone else attaching things to our roof.

X2000!
Marv did our solar, changed the inverter, and installed AGM batteries for us last year.

I built and raced sports cars for years so I'm kind of anal about doing things right. Marv is as good as they come!
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can learn a lot about installation here including better informed for having someone else do the job.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

red31
Explorer
Explorer

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
For a 24 Foot Artic Fox, this is a DIY project. I did it, Pianotuna did it, you can do it. 200 to 300 watts should have you covered, add in a good 30 PWM charge controller, use fat wire from the charge controller to the batteries, and mount the charge controller inside, as close as you can to the batteries, without exposing them to recharging acidic fumes of the batteries, and you should be good to go.
The most important part is learning how to properly recharge, top charge, and equalize charge your batteries, and maintain them, as well as manage the water level properly in your batteries, so that they live a long and efficient and inexpensive to you life between replacements.

If you'd like to geek out over those last 4 or 5 items and learn the right way to do so, use the search function here and read the story of "My Screwy 31"... it's a textbook example of learning how important charge voltage and charge amperage is to properly recharging and maintaining a battery.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is a simple flow chart.

Budget-->Energy Audit-->Battery bank size-->number of watts-->PWM or MPPT. What ever type of controller is chosen, make sure it has adjustable set points and a temperature probe that is on the battery.

If you use solar as a battery charger, one rule of thumb is between 60 and 150 watts of panels per 100 amp-hours of storage. The smaller the battery bank the higher the wattage needed (per 100 amp-hours). Here is a link to the rather special spreadsheet which includes an energy audit, that N8GS has created to help size solar battery charging systems!
solar spreadsheet by N8GS

If you full time or use an inverter lots, then populate the entire unshaded area of the roof with panels. I'm considering replacing my awning with solar panels.

For a nice explanation of solar, try this link:
Golden rules of solar
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
DIY, it isn't rocket science, heck, it's not even tuff as plumbing! You'll end up with a better system, and real knowledge of what you have. JMOO
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Are you considering a fixed mount atop your TT or a portable unit. We have a portable unit which handles our Lance model 1985 (23 foot) without any issues.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road