cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hi or low pressure dual propane regulator?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
It looks like the two stage propane regulator on our RV has given up the ghost. I was doing one of my mid-winter system tests while the weather is relatively warm (+5C) and the furnace wouldn't light (and stay lit - could feel warm exhaust for 1 second then cold). I tried the cooktop and 2 of the burners lit but not much flame - the third burner wouldn't light at all. Both tanks have propane in them - I tried manually switching the regulator from one tank to the other several times - no effect. The red indicator never goes to green.

I've been shopping for a replacement but I got to wondering: do I need a high pressure regulator or low? The reason I wonder is the tank on the street side has a regulator but the other tank on the curb side doesn't. I thought the one on the street side was necessary because of the long hose to get over to the dual regulator on the curb side - it's probably about 8' long.

The regulator looks exactly like this except that it's bare metal.

8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
This is the brand I would use. I would also replace the 2 Pigtails. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-Marshall-Excelsior-MEGR-253HP/dp/B0741GS563/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KRMQ7VS/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_135?psc=1&pd_rd_plhdr=t&spLa=ZW5jcnlw...

Doug, do you have a replacement recommendation for the red first stage regulator?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joebedford wrote:
I didn't say that right. I need a regular capacity regulator that connects right to the cylinders.

Most / all regular capacity regulators seem to be out of stock (because of the recall I suspect).

Would a high capacity regulator (350,000BTU/H vs 225,000BTU/H) work and would it pose any safety problems?

I have never seen a 350 regulator. But, the standard 210 is way more than enough to handle all the LP BtU draw in an RV. YES, due to the recall auto switchover valve/regulators are in short supply. The 350 will not cause any problems. Doug

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I didn't say that right. I need a regular capacity regulator that connects right to the cylinders.

Most / all regular capacity regulators seem to be out of stock (because of the recall I suspect).

Would a high capacity regulator (350,000BTU/H vs 225,000BTU/H) work and would it pose any safety problems?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
So I need a high pressure dual regulator. I figured the red one on the street side was a high pressure regulator.

My rig is a 2011 Voltage.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You do NOT state year model, but there is a HUGE recall on Winn LP regulators from 2017-2020. ALL Winn LP regulators MUST be replaced, under warranty. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your tanks must be split between the Left and Right side. When they do this, ONLY the tank that is NOT in the compartment with the dual regulator you picture, they use a HI pressure regulator(usually red) to NOT have the extremely hi pressure going between the tanks. The red drops it down to a safer lower pressure in case there is a burst or hole between the tanks. What you have a Pic of is the Regulator you need to replace. That red hi pressure ONLY operates that other tank. Your description of the problem indicates your switchover/regulator is defective. Doug