cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High Altitude AC use causing Onan generator to die

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had my generator properly adjusted by a certified Onan tech. It starts and ran fantastically up to 5,000 ft. When I went up to 7,500 feet, the air conditioner wouldn't start and the generator would immediately die. Also, the microwave failed to start with the generator dying. The altitude adjustment was turned to the highest level and the generator showed trouble code 36. It was also 85-90 degrees at 7,500 feet. Everything worked fine once we left the high altitude. We have an upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon south rim which is 7,000 and may also be warm.
In reading online, I see that there is a drop of 3% per 1,000 feet rise above sea level and generator capacity drops along with some for heat. This was probably the reason for the generator dying upon start up of appliances because of spiking amperage. I tried flipping all the circuits off except those needed for the generator and the appliance, but it still failed to start.
Question, would a soft start installed on the roof AC correct the issue or will it still cause the generator to die? Microwave isn't an issue as I can run it off thge 2000 watt inverter I have.
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
SFVdave wrote:
The generator is a 4000 watt installed in MH

It may require a different "jet" to work at higher altitudes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
The generator is a 4000 watt installed in MH

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe the proper adjustment was for 5000 ft but is insufficient for 7500 ft.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I hear the soft start things will help a small generator run an AC that it normally cannot run. There are capacitors that help with the surge of power needed to start the AC compressor, but Im not certain on keeping it running part...

The issue with altitude is the thin air. You might notice your vehicle loses power also, and it probably is able to adjust itself for altitude.
The solution if the soft start does not do the trick is a bigger generator.

If you are at 7500 feet then the gen is sucking in some pretty thin air. It will not have the power needed as it would at sea level, there is no carb adjustment that will give it more power. carb adjustment will only help it run properly, has nothing to do with power.
When there is less air you adj the carb to provide less gas (called leaning it out). The ratio of air to gas must remain the same no matter the elevation, so as you go up into thin air you adjust the carb to a more lean state - aka, less gas. less gas will not give more power, it only keeps the ratio correct and the engine running smooth. Automobiles are set at a 14.7 to 1 air to gas ratio. Im not sure the small engine numbers, probably similar.

I have never HAD to have AC at 7500 feet, esp at night, but I understand wanting to be cool in the day.

I think the formula is 3% for ever 1,000 ft over sea level, so at 7,500 feet this is a 22.5% drop, so multiply by 77.5% and get worse numbers.
3,500 times 0.775 = 2,712.
Congrats, your 3500 watt gen is now a 2700 watt generator!

Now if Im wrong on the math and it is from 4500 feet then 7,500 is 3,000 over 4,500 so 3% times 3 is 9%.
2,500 watt gen times 91% is suddenly 2,275 watts of running power, not 2,500 watts anymore.
3,500 drops to 3,185 and so on....

Again, aside from installing a turbo charger or a super charger there is nothing you can do about the air.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If it happens again you could try removing the air filter when you go to start the AC unit. With any luck that would allow a bit more air and keep the genny from stalling out under that initial heavy load.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

A good solution may be a load support inverter charger. Victron or Outback. Not Magnum.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Since genny is within specโ€™s you might want to try avoiding ethanol blend gas (of lower btu content, but good for ethanol lobbyist)โ€ฆ

3 tons