cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home made Jumper cable question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
The clamps on my old jumper cables were shot so I ordered new ones. When the new clamps arrived I cut off old ones and was disappointed to see the wire in my old cables were so small. My old wires were about 16 gauge and about 8 strands. And only about 8 feet long. So I looked at getting new cables and I see a "good" set of cables aren't cheap.

Yesterday at a surplus metal store I saw some type of cable (alum) I think, made up of maybe size 14 or 12 and about 10 or 12 strands making up the cable. Being I already have new clamps for the ends, I was thinking about getting the cable. I could slide new cable into a hose. I would make them long enough so I could park in back of somebody's car and reach their battery from mine. Cable is flexible enough.

Including the clamps about $60.00 total into project for what I think will be nice set of cables.

But just sounds to easy....and anything elec I always double check because elec not one of my better subjects.

Please tell me what I'm getting ready to screw up?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
15 REPLIES 15

path1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I once jumped started a car using a tow chain wrapped tight around the bumpers (his and mine) way back when cars had frame mounted steel bumpers
And one length of 10 guage wire
Because that was all that was available

But it's not what i would recommend
Forget 12ga
And forget alu unless it's 'one aught'
Get some good 2ga Copper for long cables
Or 4?6ga for normal lengthy cables

Ya, who needs jumper cables anyways? Connect bumper to bumper and dig out bumper jack and jack handle from trunk and make connection positive to positive. Man those were the days.
I came across my old timing light couple weekends ago. I remember paying extra because it also had point dwell thing on it. I still couldn't throw it away. It's a Montgomery wards brand.

Now I'm trying to find out what a "Canbus" is? Times sure have changed.

MrWizard
I once jumped started a car using a tow chain wrapped tight around the bumpers (his and mine) way back when cars had frame mounted steel bumpers
And one length of 10 guage wire
Because that was all that was available

But it's not what i would recommend
Forget 12ga
And forget alu unless it's 'one aught'
Get some good 2ga Copper for long cables
Or 4?6ga for normal lengthy cables
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Divide the copper wire in the welding cable into halves and fasten to both halves of the clamp...lets you use smaller terminals. I use my 20' ones so often that I have a plug in the grill of my PU so I do not have to open the hood.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Op here...Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful. I'll be going by a welding supply via other shopping today. Will check out what is recommended here.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Look at the cables your vehicle manufacturer uses between the starter motor, the battery(ies), and the chassis ground. They use the connectors they do, the size/type cable that they do and they keep them short as possible for a very good reason. VOLTAGE DROP Starter motors are very thirsty when it comes to amps. Of course, you can't use OEM battery cable clamps on your jumper cables, that wouldn't be practical, but in general, keeping the cables as short as possible and as big (gauge) as possible will only help you when you or someone else needs a jump. Copper is king.

That withstanding, I've had very good luck using one of the many available portable "power station" type booster batteries. I bought mine at Costco for about $70.00. It saved my tail, and others, many times. I actually had my booster battery start a power stroke diesel with two dead batteries under the hood once. I couldn't believe it, but it did work. I just took about ten minutes to boost the dead batteries before starting. Keeping it fully charged all times is the key.

Chum lee

Ironic you mentioned battery boosters. As I type I have one plugged in. I plug mine around first of month and run genny in RV.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
he meant that the old ones were 16 ga X 8 conductor, or about 7 ga copper. And, he's thinking of making new ones, 12 ga X 10 conductor, or about 2 ga aluminum.
that's better, thanks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the cables your vehicle manufacturer uses between the starter motor, the battery(ies), and the chassis ground. They use the connectors they do, the size/type cable that they do and they keep them short as possible for a very good reason. VOLTAGE DROP Starter motors are very thirsty when it comes to amps. Of course, you can't use OEM battery cable clamps on your jumper cables, that wouldn't be practical, but in general, keeping the cables as short as possible and as big (gauge) as possible will only help you when you or someone else needs a jump. Copper is king.

That withstanding, I've had very good luck using one of the many available portable "power station" type booster batteries. I bought mine at Costco for about $70.00. It saved my tail, and others, many times. I actually had my booster battery start a power stroke diesel with two dead batteries under the hood once. I couldn't believe it, but it did work. I just took about ten minutes to boost the dead batteries before starting. Keeping it fully charged all times is the key.

Chum lee

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
#12 is pretty light for the kind of amperage that will be carrying. Cheap cables never worked for me. Sometimes the lengths you guys go to to save a few bucks is surprising.
I think he meant that the old ones were 16 ga X 8 conductor, or about 7 ga copper. And, he's thinking of making new ones, 12 ga X 10 conductor, or about 2 ga aluminum.

But the way he put it is pretty ambiguous.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
May I make a suggestion?

Your area has a welding supply store. Those stores sell neoprene (Hypalon) sheathed custom cut genuine copper conductor cables. The industry is intensely competitive so these supply shops usually offer the best deal.

Four gauge cable is great but if you have to settle for 1 AWG and pay the extra price it would be light-years better than aluminum cables which because they expose aluminum on the cut ends are utter garbage.

Your next objective will be to lay the cables parallel on the ground. You need to find out what size heat shrink tubing will fit over the paralleled cables. Proper size will just slip over the two cables.

Cut 1" lengths of the heat shrink. One strip every six inches is more than adequate. The DW's hair dryer will shrink the lengths.

The best clamps I have used have plastic tips covering the copper jaws. They are usually rated 500-amps and they are not the cheapest cable clamps around. Those mean-looking exposed silver colored clamps are steel and I probably don't need to emphasize why they are inferior.

Makeup 500 amp clamps come disassembled with the jaws, nuts and bolts in a plastic baggie.

You need to find copper lugs EXACTLY the size of the screws that attach the jaws to the plastic coated cable clamp.

While you're at it, go to eBay and buy a short length of SILICONE TEN GAUGE wire. Color does not matter but the ring terminals must fit that little clamp screw exactly.

I solder the terminals to the copper clamp pads for good reason. Then bend the strain relief pad ears over the terminals.

Cut the ten gauge silicone wire to length. The length is to BRIDGE the two pads in the same clamp together. This allows BOTH sides of the clamp to pass electricity evenly. Example: Four inches of ten AWG will pass 100 amps - no sweat.

Time to assemble: First slather on silicone dielectric grease all over the pads - every micron, both sides.

Then assemble the pads to the clamps.

You have made the finest jumper cables on the face of the earth. An heirloom for your grand kids. A 25' super long 4 gauge set will pass near full battery voltage even at 200 amperes.

Just don't leave them lying around.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
#12 is pretty light for the kind of amperage that will be carrying. Cheap cables never worked for me. Sometimes the lengths you guys go to to save a few bucks is surprising.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Since I bought a good battery jump starter/air compressor/flasher box I haven't used cables. I carried them around just in case for a year or two. Then finally left them in the garage. Newer battery jumper boxes are truly powerful and reliable. I've jump started everything from my back how to my old 12valve work truck. I've used it for my dump trailer, I've aired up countless tires. Best $ ive ever spent.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Do not have a set myself, but have used ones made from welding cable many times. By far the best you can get. Welding cable is designed to carry a lot of current, and still be very flexible.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
16 ft. 6 Gauge Heavy Duty Booster Cables, $20.
https://www.harborfreight.com/16-ft-6-gauge-heavy-duty-booster-cables-60396.html
CCA wire, copper coated steel clamps, vinyl jacket

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I make mine out of #4 welding cable available at welding supply houses. 25 ft. is about $40. Crimp AND solder to a good set of clamps and you are good to go for a long time. I make mine about 15 ft. long.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)