Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EU2000 generator cover

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone

I have a pair of EU2000 which I use on a homebuilt rack on the back of my class C. The gens are secured by a 1" ratchet strap and also by a master lock ratcheting cable. The cable is about 3/8" diameter. Both the strap and the cable run through the handle, then tight to the sides of the generator and down around the bottom of the mount I built so the generators will not move. Each gen has its own strap and cable. I have had this setup for many years and it works great.

I am looking at the Honda cover 08P57-Z07-00S like this. The reviews on this cover say it fits very snug. Does anyone have this cover and if so, do you think it will fit over the gens with the ratchet strap and 3/8" cable running down each side?

Thank you
Patrick
7 REPLIES 7

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set up, and I'm sure they need to be where they are for necessity. Your method will certainly discourage the casual thief. But don't think they are theft-proof, an equipped thief could have both of them gone in about 15 seconds. A Metabo or Milwaukee cordless grinder with a diamond wheel will eat right through any anti-theft cable. The tighter the cable is, the easier it is to grind through. I saw my plumber friend cut through a 3/8" stainless anti-theft motorcycle cable in less than 5 seconds, using his cordless Metabo.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you all for the help. I like the thought of the outboard motor covers. I may go that route if the Honda covers don't work. Here is a the only pic I could find.

The frame is 1.25 x .25 angle. Below each gen is some 3/4 raised expanded steel. There is an opening between for straps and locks. I fishplated the bumper with ~3' strips of 2" x 3/16" where the mounts attach for extra strength, and then used 1x1x.120 square to hold it to the bumper. So that part isn't coming off easily.

The cable is very tight to the gen so using cable cutters they could only get the tip on the cable. I hope it at least discourages theft. It seems to have worked for us so far, knock on wood. Most of our camping is at ORV parks in large groups, and sometimes it seems like I am the only person in the whole park with any kind of lock at all. There are usually gens sitting all around us out in the open.

Each gen uses a short cord to plug into a box just under the rear of the camper. From there 10/3 runs to the shore cord storage cabinet so I can plug in and run going down the road. It is handy for the roof air, etc.
Patrick

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
For my two Hondas I use an engine cover for a small outboard engine. Cost around $10 each. Has a draw string to tighten around the bottom. I use a python locking cable around the genny through the expanded metal of a luggage rack. The cover fits over it.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Someone on here made a mount and cover from an upside down large storage bin. Generator was bolted down to a hitch rack through the inverted cover of the storage bin. Then the bin itself was placed over the generator for travel. You'd have to really work at it to steal them and they are out of sight and out of mind while traveling. Clever!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same ratcheting cable around the generator with a loop from another cable threaded through it and it fits fine. So yes it can be locked and covered. The cover I use on the 2000 is as good or maybe better than the Honda OEM, and its camouflage and blends amazingly well, even at close range
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely not, if it's a 3/8" cable. The covers do fit pretty tight, and there is not a lot of play in them. We have 2 2000's with the covers, but they are on the Lowpro lockdowns in our truck bed.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This works for some but alot of folks have lost them to the thieves doing what you have there... A picture would be nice to see...

When you look at some Honda generators for sale on Craigs list you may notice a few cut handles...

My generator is secured in the tailgate corner of my truck bed which also has a lockable folding panel covers. All is out of sight except when the generator is being used...

Glad it is working out for you...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS