cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater on both propane and electricity?

alanmikkelsen
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a dumb question, but can you operate a hot water heater on both propane and electricity for more rapid recovery of hot water? Or is there an automatic cutout that prevents this. Too lazy to do my own research...
Of all the liars in the world, the fisherman is the most trustworthy...
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do, or rather did, it all the time when Wife was alive (Well much of the time) no problem at all, only thing is the water heats faster.

in fact on Dual power washing dishes you are likely to be right close to endless hot, Showers you run out but it takes longer
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
You pretty much got your answer so I will have to ask. Why do you want to heat your hot water? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is our normal showering procedure. Both of us can take back to back showers with our 6 gallon water heater and never run out of water.

We leave the electric element on all of the time, then turn on the propane heater just before showering. After the showers are done, we turn off the propane heater.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
We usually do this when we are both going to take a shower within minutes of one another.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suburban has separate set of t-stats for each heating source.
One 120V AC set for electric and one 12V DC set for Propane
Both sets have SAME preset temp settings. (Normal 130*F/Hi Temp 170*F)

Atwood use to have separate sets for electric and propane but all models since 2004 have only one set
Regardless..all were SAME preset temp settings (Normal 140*F/ECO--HI Temp 180*F)

Electric heating is slowest recovery rate
Propane can be almost twice as fast recovery rate vs electric
Propane/Electric together can be almost 1 1/2 times faster vs propane only

Controls will shut down BOTH at same temp setting and will start BOTH at same time when Normal t-stat has cooled down and CLOSES (roughly 110*F-115*F)

Caveat:
Some different preset temp Normal t-stats are available as OPTIONS
But OEM Stock are SAME settings
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do it frequently, especially if the weather is cold and the incoming cold water takes longer to heat on electric alone.

alanmikkelsen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!!!
Of all the liars in the world, the fisherman is the most trustworthy...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
running on both is fine.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we also turn on both when we plan to take back-to-back showers. Recovery time is faster (as you suggested) and with only a 6 gal hot water tank we have no trouble both of us getting a decent length with hot water.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

pattyz
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people do this, it does heat up quicker, we have a 10 gal tank and gas does heat up pretty quick by itself, I feel hottest water is electric though.
Patty & Jim
2008 Coachmen Chaparral 321TS / 2016 Aspen Trail 2460RLS/ 2018 Coachmen Clipper 17 FQ
07 Chev Avalanche Fire red, :p:E Pumpkin pit/Lab, Herbie, Scooby, Dino, and Taffy, four Yorkie's Going a campin':C