cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water tank not working on 110 VAC

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't used my camper in about 6 months, but just bought a campsite where I can place it and have access to fishing, crabbing, etc. Anyway, went to use the hot water tank so I flipped on the breaker that I normally keep off to save on electricity use. Nothing, nada, so I put it on propane and it worked find. The question is, how to I troubleshoot the electrical side? Thinking the element maybe bad, but how to test? Also, there are two "reset" buttons that I pressed, but still nada. Any assistance would be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
My fault in two ways: my profile is incorrect and I need to update it since I sold the Sunnybrook and bought a Grey Wolf 26 ft. I don't know the mfg of the water heater because it is at my campsite. I will be going to it next Friday and will try the suggestions that have been mentioned here. Thanks to all.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Cajun Bill,
It's very helpful to include the brand and model+year of your RV when you ask for help. ...

According to his profile page he has:
2003 Sunnybrook 5th wheel, 31 ft., 2007 GMC 2500 Duramax, Allison tranny

But doesn't help on the brand of water heater.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Bill,
It's very helpful to include the brand and model+year of your RV when you ask for help. In this case the brand and model of your water heater would help give more specific answers to your question. Not all water heaters have the outside switch mentioned but those answers were offered because so little is known about your equipment. There are two different brands of water heaters - Atwood and Suburban. They both offer different features and sizes. The electric heater on my Atwood is on the backside - if that's what you've got, I hope you have easy access to the back side so you can get at it.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman beat me to it.

This guy had the water heater not working on his list for warranty work at the stealer. I asked if he had flipped the rocker switch on and got the deer in the headlight look. Sure enough we went outside so i could show doubtful Thomas what i was referring to and sure enough again the rocker was in the off mode. :R

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Is your water heater double switched? Do you have a rocker arm off-on switch on the tank itself (outside) and an off-on switch inside the camper? If so, perhaps one of them is in the "off" position. Both have to be "on" for it to work.

Is the breaker inside your camper for the water heater flipped off?

If everything above checks out, perhaps your heating element is burned out. Check that you are getting the 110 AC volt first to the water heater. If so, then I'd consider the heating element next. If the electric was turned on for even 5 seconds with no water in the tank, the heating element is now burned out. Start there.

Its for this very reason they are double switched, so accidently the inside switch can be flipped on, while the main switch at the tank itself is turned off, especially after winterizing and the tank is empty.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You can check it with an OHM meter with power off. Also if you have a volt meter you can see if you are getting 120 vac at the element terminals with power on. You will only see the voltage there if the unit is trying to make hot water. It won't be there all the time. You can get the element at home depot or lowes for less than 20 bucks.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie