cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I evaluate a used 12 volt freezer?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a lead on an Arctic King for a great price. But I bought a used 12 volt fridge once, and the compressor died after a couple of days.

I've bought a lot of used 120v refrigerators and freezers in my life, and never had any trouble with one.

Did I just get unlucky with that one 12 volt, or are they more touchy? Is there something in particular I should look for, other than just general condition and does it get cold?

Thank you so much for any suggestions.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to see absurd prices for an icebox check out the YETI line. But I do wonder what a Yeti would do under Peltier 12 volt operation. Just how many kWh would superb insulation save?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dorm size freezer that I have travelled with for the last few years was marketed as a medical freezer. It holds things at -10.

But I recently got a bit larger, still 120v, freezer because I wanted a little more capacity. Might not last as long without power, though! I should put a thermometer in it.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The single-solitary-onliest freezer that was LPG and 12 volt that ever worked for me was a Dometic FC-140

It had 5" thick walls and was only 1.5 cubic feet capacity. Six hundred dollars thirty years ago.

My monster Danforth powered upright has six inch walls and consumes 50+ amp hours of 24 volts daily at high temperatures. This was built in 1990 and solar panels were insanely expensive then --- try three hundred dollars for a 51 watt Kyocera panel.

Having sub zero ice cubes on a 100F day is entertaining. Fill huge frozen mug with ice cubes. Take it outside. In front of other RV'ers fill the glass.

Pop! Snap! Crackle!

Frozen food lasts a lot longer at -10F than it does at +20F

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Argh, phooey, seller made a mistake. It is not 12 volt. Just standard 120 volt.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're meanie, Mex! Ok, will do.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Drop it down to 12.0

Like a heart stress test. Not very effective when conducted while seated in a Lazy Boy recliner.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Am I right in thinking that I can test this thing out with my meanwell? What voltage should I set the meanwell at if the freezer doesn't have a readable input spec? (I googled, but couldn't find specs on this freezer online.) 13.5ish?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Warranties are in place to protect the maker not the buyer. Without one a fridge has to stay in working order forever. With one, coverage ends by a specific date after initial sale, so it limits the makers liability.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ther is basicaly no way to predict teh life. Some Compressor driven units last longer than you will. Some die in a week or less. And this applies to brand new and in the box as well as used. The difference is Brand New has a warranty the manufacturer will attempt to void if you put it in an RV (Any excuse to void).

How to inspect:
Visual. Good conditon or does it look like it was used in an old Samonsnite Commericial (Tossed around like a Dog Toy (Chase the toy).

Clean or 2" thick layer of "Crud" on the coils

Then plug it in and see if it gets cold.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Well that is very hardcore Mex! .

Yep that is a good description of much that he does.

I think you should search out reports from those who have actually USED a 12 V freezer in the past.

The battery impact likely will be LARGE, especially if opened often or as new product is added.

Most of the reports I've seen indicate that they are NOT worth the trouble.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well that is very hardcore Mex! And sounds like a great way to test out a more expensive freezer. But this guy is asking 70 bucks, and is probably not going to be up for a lot of fiddlefaddle :-).

I wonder if I could rent one of those freon wands and bring it when I come to look at the freezer...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I do Naio

• Yellow pages look for COMMERCIAL refrigerator freezer repair
  • The seller will have to go with you to get the refrigeration unit "sniffed" by an instrument with a wand
  • Expect to pay for the sniff test
  • The unit can be warm and not working
  • The guys at the repair shop know what they are doing
  • If they detect too much freon in the air the refrigerator is bad
  • Better to know now than later.

SECOND TEST

Place freezer in direct sunlight. Use a thermometer not guesswork

• Fill a glass of water just like you did at home. Leave half empty
  • How long did your home refrigerator take to freeze the water in the glass
  • Plug the freezer in. Once in awhile check the temp. How fast is it dropping
  • The sun playing on the freezer makes this a stress test
  • Several hours later, the freezer must chill down to no higher temp than +15F
  • It will do much better when it is shaded
  • Use your nose behind the freezer. Does it smell like it's getting hot?

Better you cull someone else's stinkeroo they are trying to dump. he object is to gain an appliance that works, and isn't going to leak it's gas out.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
12V is likely more touchy if the voltage drops which may be more likely on batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it gets cold then its working. How long is always a guess. Thats why mfgs give a warrenty on new products.