cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How hot is HOT

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Ford v10 (v8,v6) when water temp reaches a certain temp, half of the cylinders shut down into limp. What is the actual temp in degrees that this occurs?
26 REPLIES 26

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
tarnold wrote:
Ford v10 (v8,v6) when water temp reaches a certain temp, half of the cylinders shut down into limp. What is the actual temp in degrees that this occurs?

Actual degrees of limp mode, I have no idea.
But I do know how hot is hot.

Believe what you want to, but in reality, if an engine did not dump the water/coolant,...for whatever reason, the engine IS NOT HOT,....defined as "no engine damage whatsoever will occur to any engine that still has the water/coolant in it".
Under load, as soon as an engine dumps the water/coolant, engine damage can occur w/ in seconds,....meaning less than a minute.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
No cell service after mile 20, so stop by and ask one of 'em!

We were camping out that way rockhounding a few years ago and had cell service there. We have a cellular attenna on our RV's roof that feeds a transmit/receive booster amplifier inside the coach.

There weren't any vagabond-engineer encampments out there then - just some old mines, Oregon Sunstones, and most important of all - pristine Outback High Desert.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
tarnold wrote:
Guess you just can’t ask a simple question in the tech forum.
Yea we just keep it going for a time with off topic comments and hope a retired Ford engineer will drop in and settle it.

Don't get your hopes up!

There's a bunch of old geezers hanging out at a make-shift, run-down encampment of various tents, cars, trucks, and RVs about 26 miles North of Plush, in the Oregon Desert Outback with a hand painted sign.....S.A.F.E. with F.O.R.D. below that.

On close inspection - under each - in smaller letters...
"Stranded Assembly (of) Ford Engineers"
"(Wish we had) Fixed Or Repaired Daily"

No cell service after mile 20, so stop by and ask one of 'em!..:W

:@

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
tarnold wrote:
Yea we just keep it going for a time with off topic comments and hope a retired Ford engineer will drop in and settle it.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
tarnold wrote:

This is what happens when nobody knows the answer.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
I simply don't understand this type of thinking. IMO, the exact temperature of the coolant (50/50 mix hopefully) doesn't matter. If your Ford V10 goes into limp mode because of a coolant overtemp (read the provided gauge on the dash) AND you continue to drive it, well, YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING that happens next.

So, if my Ford goes into limp mode 25 miles north of Plush in the Oregon desert outback due to, for example, a once-and-for-all stuck shut radiator thermostat that has been sticking off and on for months but I didn't notice it because it never before stuck shut long enough to force the Ford into limp mode but this time is really stuck shut for good .... and I didn't realize all this was going on (and hence able to do something about it ahead of time) for months because I didn't have a good old fashion analog radiator temp gauge on the dash that would have been showing a "little hot" off and on for months ... THEN I DESERVE THAT out in the middle of nowhere????? :h

The OEM engineers, and the OEM marketing types and the OEM accountants and the OEM lawyers ... need to stop trying to outthink us owners and thus techni-mess everything up .... cuz they're really not that good at it. Our eyes, our ears, and what's between our ears - is way ahead of them.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Detroit?
Simple Question?
Out of control integrated circuits?
And Control Freaks?

Coolant temp which does not regard lube oil temp?
And no numbers and no reference?

OEM instrumentation and monitoring has regressed from the merely laughable to the absurd. Don't raise the bridge. Construct a dam and 10,000,000 times the cost. This reminds me of California and banning transformer battery chargers because the failed lawyers didn't think of a timer switch. Shut down the engine in lieu of a larger radiator. There's a lot more psychotic think-for-you adventures on the way. Wahingmachine DC and Sicramento can't wait to pass bill after management enforcement after zombie mind control measures. Wotta Hoot.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
tarnold wrote:

I simply don't understand this type of thinking. IMO, the exact temperature of the coolant (50/50 mix hopefully) doesn't matter. If your Ford V10 goes into limp mode because of a coolant overtemp (read the provided gauge on the dash) AND you continue to drive it, well, YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING that happens next.

IMO, limp mode is not designed for continuous operation with reduced performance. It is there to warn you of impending doom and to allow you (if possible) some time to drive directly to the nearest repair facility with minimal damage to the vehicle/engine/transmission. Being in limp mode is NOT a guarantee of continued safe operation.

I know, I know. there will always be those who claim to have driven for years with "no problems" in limp mode. (check engine light on) To them I say GOOD! Keep doing what you're doing! You won't have any problems until you do.

Edit: To a**ume that the water temperature is the ONLY sensor input that determines if/when your ECU puts your vehicle into limp mode is false. How do you know if your scan gauge is pointed at the key critical point before engine damage occurs? What if you lose cooling system pressure along with having the wrong mix (50/50) of water/antifreeze in the system? Hint: It boils at a much lower temperature. I don't mean to be critical of your desire to know more about your engine. The engineers at Ford who designed and built your chassis are MILES ahead of you. They make mistakes too, but, I'm not sure you appreciate that they even exist. What they do and why they do it are not an accident.

Chum lee

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Or like too many of my vehicle's dash gauges. They decompose and read differently.

Screw that. I have a full set of alarm setpoint gauges coming for the toad. Will have chime annunciation.

Forgot to stare at the gauges. Congratulations! Just ******ed away a few thousand dollars for nothing. Double digit IQ planning. I had a FACTORY oil pressure sending unit dump oil onto the ground, two electric fan failures for radiator to scare me into being real. Like having a chained barkless dog as a watch dog. Brilliant.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Stock gauge works well IMO. If it rises, reduce power. Until then full throttle is good in all conditions. There is still room for movement and interpretation before the wheels fall off.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
So .... we have to spend more of our $$ for add-on aftermarket gauges to make up for what used be great continuously reading stock dash gauges? 😞

If my motorhome's temp gauge ever moves (maybe out in the middle of nowhere?) it will scare me to death because then it'll mean something is really bad at that point that has probably been getting worse for quite some time that I didn't know about ... since I did not have a built-in stock continuously reading ("analog") dash gauge that I could have seen slowly creeping up earlier.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Since Quicksilver's engine is mid-frame I had to come up with an idea for the radically tiled radiator. A hydraulically driven fan. A Horton.

Non standard dash gauges. Murphy switch gauges. Adjustable alarm set points. Oil, coolant, engine oil pressure, trans temp, and radiator outlet (engine suction) temp, plus a 30 lb radiator pressure gauge.

Thirty years ago those gauges were affordable. Now? Egads!

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If you find yourself in an overheat situation, you can buy yourself a little time by turning the cab heat on max and the fan on max. If your engine also heats the house, turn that fan on max also. Those heat exchangers act like tiny radiators and will dump some heat that can help you get to a shoulder or an exit to pull over. Of course you'll be uncomfortable for a bit. 🙂
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"