cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much capacity does the TV plug have?

NetComrade
Explorer
Explorer
This is my only 12v outlet, and I plugged a 4 way splitter into it.
The outlet does say "tv only".

I can easily run my
router (direct DC plug) ,
plus fan 1.3A amp 12V,

but anything else after that I can only have one off

12v->20V laptop (says 10A max, not sure what it draws constantly)

185W 12v-110v that i need for my VOIP phone (required 24V, less than an amp, says 400mA on the power supply)
inverter is: Duracell DRINVP175 175-Watt Pocket Inverter with 2.1-Amp USB Port, I bought it because the fan is least loud.

Verizon Samsung network extender (direct 12V 1.5A)

so I end up juggling between my laptop and my phone. I keep the extender offline, as it doesn't work anyway, but I would like to be able to have all of them on.

Is there an easy (cheap) way to monitor amp drawage on the cigarrette plug?

Could my 185w inverter be drawing more than it needs (the phone requires very little power, i don't know why it's NOT 12v)

The verizon extender appears to be very sensitive to voltage drops. I can certainly judge by the fan speed whenever it it drops.

Fusebox says 15A for TV radio.. maybe the wire is too thin for the load? I certainly have enough power overall.
2010 Jayco 24fbs, GMC Sierra 2500HD
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally you start to worry as current approaches 2 digits (10 amps)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
the typical cig style 12v plug is rated for 7~8 amps thats less than 100watts total power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sea'scape wrote:
Every time I read this topic I scratch my head on implementation. I have a 1000 watt Xantrex PSW inverter, that lacks a remote on/off switch. To install it, I think I would need no 4 or 6 wire right to the battery, or a battery cutout switch, for both negative and positive. There should also be a fuse mounted as near the battery as possible. The present wire from the battery for the trailer is no where near this large. No problem, except where do people mount this fuse, and can you get a weatherproof one. Or do people mount it in a weatherproof box.

The Xantrex has what I consider a bit of a dumb design. The dc connects to two terminals with a barrier between them. But the terminals are bare bolts about an inch apart and one could easily contact both at the same time. I have thought of making a cover for the terminals, but the fan is close to them.

The ideal location would be the pass through, but it would be a nuisance to turn on and off as required. I also worry about heat build up. Possibly a closet would work, but getting the wires in and out would be difficult.

So unless I can figure these things out, the Xantrex will likely have to go.

Anyone found an inverter that lends to easy, saf the installation; probably with remote on/off?

If I was using a large inverter I would use a 12V continuous duty solenoid. I would fuse and put solenoid near the battery. Run #14 wire to my switch inside that controlled the solenoid. Amazon sells the solenoids for about $20. You could connect #2 wire to the solenoid. I would mount the inverter near the 110v source of power for the RV.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I read this topic I scratch my head on implementation. I have a 1000 watt Xantrex PSW inverter, that lacks a remote on/off switch. To install it, I think I would need no 4 or 6 wire right to the battery, or a battery cutout switch, for both negative and positive. There should also be a fuse mounted as near the battery as possible. The present wire from the battery for the trailer is no where near this large. No problem, except where do people mount this fuse, and can you get a weatherproof one. Or do people mount it in a weatherproof box.

The Xantrex has what I consider a bit of a dumb design. The dc connects to two terminals with a barrier between them. But the terminals are bare bolts about an inch apart and one could easily contact both at the same time. I have thought of making a cover for the terminals, but the fan is close to them.

The ideal location would be the pass through, but it would be a nuisance to turn on and off as required. I also worry about heat build up. Possibly a closet would work, but getting the wires in and out would be difficult.

So unless I can figure these things out, the Xantrex will likely have to go.

Anyone found an inverter that lends to easy, saf the installation; probably with remote on/off?

NetComrade
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just put the inverter next to the fuse box, and put the entire trailer on it? My Jayco 24fbs layout is nearly identical to this, and fuse box is under the fridge.

Overall, though. I have everything but the phone that can work off 12v, going back to 110v, so i could go back to 12v seems like a waste.
2010 Jayco 24fbs, GMC Sierra 2500HD

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a big fan of using the cigarette light type 12VDC sockets. The 12VDC socket you are using is really for the OTA antenna setup and if you end up melting down things there the OTA antenna preamp will not function anymore...

What alot of folks do is get a larger PURE SINE WAVE Inverter from 300WATT to 600WATTS and connect this Inverter directly to your battery terminals. Haven't looked up what trailer you are running but the pass thru storage area is usually next to the front wall of the trailer and this is an excellent spot to mount the PSW INVERTER. I use a 600WATT PSW Inverter in my setup.

I run two extension cords from the Inverter with one going to the home entertainment area and the other going back to the bedroom night stand area. This gives me multiple 120VAC receptacle ports to run all kinds of low wattage 120VAC items like the HDTV, CD Player, all of my cell phone and computer chargers, and alot of other most often used 120VAC appliances when I am camping off the power grid. My Inverter is remote controlled but I leave it on all the time when I am camping.

I made up this floorplan of a typical TT Trailer showing where the PSW INVERTER could be mounted... This might fit your always ON 120VAC service requirements just fine...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS