cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually light a Dometic RM2353?

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I’m trying to help my friend remotely to light her refrigerator. She has a bunch of food and they’re going bad soon. So time is of the essence.

She has a domestic RM 2352 refrigerator.

It’s the kind where you hold a thermocouple bypass button down, and then you repeatedly click on the igniter button. Manually. This does not have an electronic control that lights the flame.

So, her igniter button broke. As in, the plastic broke and it no longer can be used. It is permanently in a depressed position, and does not come back to her.

Order for her to get the refrigerator running right now, she needs to let it manually. But looking at the back of the refrigerator from her pictures, I don’t see the same features I do in the YouTube videos that show how to light a domestic refrigerator manually.

Could anyone help by suggesting the method to light this refrigerator manually?
4 REPLIES 4

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! We got it. She was able to send me some pictures after she pulled the metal covers off of the igniter area. And everything was clear.

I’m actually really surprised she got it on the first try. She’s not too mechanically inclined. But she’s getting really good.

She used a curtain rod or something across the RV to press the thermocouple bypass.

Then she went outside and lit it. It’s working great. Thank you for all of the help.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
If she is solo, have her jam a toothpick between the depressed Safety button and the panel while she goes outside. Been there, done that. 🙂

Edit: Prior post might negate my comment.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This link appears to have the replacement Piezo spark assbly. Doug

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/dometic-2931796011-piezo-igniter-with-wing-nut?gclid=C...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dometic-Refer-Model-RM2353-Installa...

Page 3 Figure 1. There is a metal cover with one screw you remove to see the burner. THAT screw is labeled in that pic. Have someone push the inside Safety button and then someone outside lights the flame. Doug

PS, on this model it takes 2 people. Now, on the back of the refer you will see a slot in the gas valve to manually turn the gas inlet valve OFF. So, to SAFELY do the lighting by yourself, you would turn the gas valve OFF at the back(not the selector switch inside). The slot is horizontal now(open) Turn it vertically will shut it OFF. Once OFF you make sure the inside selector switch is ON LP. Then get some type of wedge like a toothpick or something to HOLD the Safety valve push button IN. Go outside and turn the gas valve ON and then light the burner. Then go back inside and MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE WEDGE KEEPING THAT SAFETY VALVE PUSHED IN. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THAT SAFETY VALVE WEDGE TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!. The flame will stay on. You can purchase an after market electric Piezo kit to fabricate a way to light the refer in the future. It appears The Piezo has been discontinued