cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove broken door latch

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
We had someone try to break into our 5th wheel and they ruined the deadbolt keyhole. We cannot unlock the deadbolt.

Any suggestions on how to go about removing the entire latch? It has 2 keyholes, one for the deadbolt and one for the latch pull itself.

Once removed, we plan to replace it with a combination style latch.

I've tried to search the forum, but didn't find much on the subject. Thank you in advance for your help!
Steve & Terri
2008 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6.4L
2013 Coachman Chaparral Signature 327RLKS
Look out! We're newbies!
12 REPLIES 12

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the conclusion of my story. I used a 3/8" drill bit and drilled out the deadbolt key. Went in about 1/4" and the bit caught and turned the deadbolt. Pulled it out, door opened. MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

The thieves did get in to my fifth wheel to steal the TV. They used a dealer master key and broke it off locking it back up.

Funny thing, though. They stepped over 2 $1500 bikes, 2 30# propane tanks and other electronics to steal a $250 TV. Nobody said thieves were smart.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

-Steve & Terri
Steve & Terri
Look out! We're newbies!

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Key jammed in ours as soon as dw put it in the lock, couldnt get it out , turn it or anything , had to call locksmith at 11:00 pm I wasnt about to break in for the sake of $150.00 it cost for him to open it up in 20 mins
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When this happened to me I was able to get into the MH from the driver side window by sliding it back with the palms of my hands. Once in I took the screws off from the inside and was able to use a pocket knife to work the dead bolt back. In my case I had to replace a spring.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
To remove the latch you must first OPEN THE DOOR.
To do this you will need to get inside the trailer (else you will have to do serious damage) I used the escape window on my Motor home when I had to do it. Thankfully there was a way I could reach the latches.. That was the 1st time, the 2nd time I was inside the RV (In my case it's the striker bolt that broke).

Then once you have the door open you remove the screws from the jam (two) and from the inside plate (3 I think) and then it just all comes apart.

Sorry that is not true, you can open the lock from the outside by drilling it out and then using a flathead screwdriver to open the lock. That youtube video shows how to do it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I had a lock fail and I could not unlock it to get in. I have a 5th wheel as well. Does that baggage door of yours by the door have a laundry basket to the left under the stairs? In my case, I did not have access to a small child to send in. I propped the stair laundry door open and used a small hammer taped to a stick to knock the red lever to the unlock position. The problem these locks had made turning the red lever difficult so it had to be hammered. It may just turn in your case with a stick. Sometimes putting a screw part way into the end of the stick makes a better tool.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To remove the latch you must first OPEN THE DOOR.
To do this you will need to get inside the trailer (else you will have to do serious damage) I used the escape window on my Motor home when I had to do it. Thankfully there was a way I could reach the latches.. That was the 1st time, the 2nd time I was inside the RV (In my case it's the striker bolt that broke).

Then once you have the door open you remove the screws from the jam (two) and from the inside plate (3 I think) and then it just all comes apart.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
I would call a locksmith.

I had a problem with the ignition key lock in a car, and AAA sent out a guy for free to remove the old lock and put in a new one. I did pay for the new lock, just a few dollars.

Besides getting the door open, the locksmith can install a new lock.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
sandtsherman wrote:
Thank you agesilaus. I didn't think about watching a regular deadbolt video. I'm assuming a camper deadbolt won't be quite as strong?

Hard to say, it's probably as good as a normal hardware store deadbolt but not a super lock like a Medico. Drilling it out should not be a problem tho. Not as easy as the guy in the film made it look tho, he had a BIG drill motor but still easily doable
Superbumper

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you agesilaus. I didn't think about watching a regular deadbolt video. I'm assuming a camper deadbolt won't be quite as strong?
Steve & Terri
Look out! We're newbies!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
old guy wrote:
you might have to drill it out

YouTube

Advance the video to after 1 minute to get to where he is drilling. You probably want a 1/2 drill motor with at least a 7/16" good quality drill bit not the Harbor Freight stuff. A cheap bit might just break off in the lock.
Superbumper

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you might have to drill it out