cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughs Autoformer

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Hughs autoformer. Its suppose to give the voltage a boost if the incoming voltage drops below a specified limit.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
58 REPLIES 58

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too have a 50 amp.. Where I'm parked now (Well either this site or the one next to it) last summer wife was hollering at me "You won't like this site, the lady over there says her volt meter has been in the red nearly all week"

Mine was in the green.... after the autoformer.

They do increase the likelyhood of tripping the park pedistal breaker (Which I did today) but they also keep the motors happy, and that is what I pay it for.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NobleEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 (one was my dad's). He passed and it just sits. Mine I transferred to my Class C from my TT and I love it. Add a good spike protector to the line and you should be covered.

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading 105 V yesterday 119 after plugging in the Autoformer, mine is 12 years old no problems.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my Hughes 30 amp Autoformer nearly 9 years ago. It was used at the time. I hard wired it in our MH because we fulltime and didn't want it exposed to the elements and sticky fingers. Plus, some campgrounds will not allow them so out of sight, out of mind.
It has worked flawlessly for those 9 years and exactly as advertised and I've never had to deal with a low voltage issue. It just works.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Last I checked, power was either metered, or included. Since you are not bypassing the meter, you cannot be stealing. Weather I am running 1 ac or two, electric water heater and fridge or propane, the electric is included.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much positive reviews so far.

I would recommend using a 50 to 30 amp adapter so that you have a chance to use all 30 amps output of the Autoformer, without tripping the 30 amp input breaker. Your RV's 30 amp main will protect the RV from using more than 30 amps.

What the autoformer does it take in 100 - 105 volts and boost it by 12 volts to 112 to 117 volts. However if you are using 25 amps output, then the input will be about 12% higher, or about 3 amps more than the output amps.

The input wattage and output wattage is about the same (less about 1% for in-efficiency) so if the air conditioner was using 1500 watts before being boosted, it will still be using 1,500 watts after being boosted to the correct voltage. You are not "Stealing" power from the campground, but are using the same amount boosted or not.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had on ever since I fried my AC in a low voltage campsite 12 years and 2 RVs ago. I never plug in without it.
Larry

CJ5_jeeper
Explorer
Explorer
It has saved me a couple of times. I have mine hard wired in, so it is out of sight, and in the circuit all the time. There are some parks that do not want you to use them, as they think you are stealing power. There have been a couple of times that the only way you knew it was working is when the park breakers trip.

ScottMack
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a Hughes, but I use a PowerMaster (30 amp model) and it works very well. I keep one of the small analog voltage meters plugged into one of the galley outlets and it is very easy to tell when the PowerMaster kicks in. I think they are well worth the investment.

(I did have a TRC, but it quit functioning for no apparent reason and TRC said they did not have a procedure to fix it unless it was under warranty. Mine was out of warranty and they would not even accept it for repair - they told me I would have to buy a new one - that was one expensive mistake I won't make again!)
2010 Winnebago Outlook 29B
2010 Ford Escape (1 blown tranny at 4876 towing miles)

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Have 50A one for years. Works well. If you have a surge protector, run shore to the Hughes to the surge protector to the coach. If the surge protector cuts off due to low power, the Hughes cannot do it's job.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have one. Works great !!! I unplugged it and put it away on one of our camping trips to be able to get a early start the next morning. 15 min later
there was low voltage and fried my ref, a/c, and heater. I highly recommend and
plug in before using the RV and the last thing to unplug
samsontdog:o:W

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome device. On my wish list.

Jim

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Works well. I have a 5oA version.