cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm ready to go parallel (generator)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking it's time to invest in a twin for my Yamaha 2000, and I'd also like to connect it to my extended run fuel system. The electrical side is easy-peasy for me, but I'm thinking I'm missing something on the fuel side of things.

Right now, I have the single Yamaha, an extended run gas cap and an outboard motor fuel hose and six gal tank...

Adding the second Yamaha, I was thinking I can just cut the fuel hose where it is coming off the tank, and hose clamp in a brass wye fitting. Then re-attach my existing primer bulb and hose to the old generator, as well as cut another hose and run the primper bulb and connector to the new generator.

Is there a better way to do this?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
4 REPLIES 4

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
When I first setup the external fuel, I was frustrated by the lack of fuel pump on the Yamaha... but all is not lost. Here is what works for me, maybe it will help others.

Prep) Run generator out of fuel completely... with the factory cap, let it run until it dies.

Step 1) The bottom of the external tank needs to be above the bottom of the internal tank. A few inches is probably all that's needed, a few feet works for me. Fuel does not leak out; when the generator is stopped, the fuel flow stops, as long as your cap seals properly and your fuel hose is in good condition.

Step 2) Open outboard tank air vent, attach hose to generator cap, attach cap to generator but don't tighten all the way yet

Step 3) Prime fuel hose using bulb, until you can hear/feel the air is out, then tighten cap on generator

Step 4) Start generator as normal, enjoy uninterrupted run-time for hours / days.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I finally went nuts trying to get the genny to suck gas out of the marine tank. I used a primer bulb and gave up on that and bought a new hose and tried several other connections and never did get it to run off the large tank.. to this day I still don't know what was wrong with that set up.

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the small Yamaha gens have a fuel pump so they won't draw fuel by themselves. You could put your larger tank above the generators and hope they will gravity feed, or sit there and squeeze the fuel-line bulb. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Chino

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to have it covered.

Any thought about getting a second 6 gallon tank thought? That has a benefit of being double the hours. But I really don't know how many hours the single 6 gallon tank will run at 75% power. If it is 10 hours, and you would be happy with 5 hours when hooking up 2 generators, that is your choice.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com