cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ignition Switch

KENTUCKYNEWBIE
Explorer
Explorer
I have just purchased a 1989 Elite Motor Home with a 320 CAT DIESEL. It is a low budget project, to I may have to do it myself on several items. Immediate problem is that the ignition switch is not wired resulting in none of the electrical systems working. Including lights! I have no owners manual and am at a loss at how to approach this issue short of taking it to a local RV dealer.

Questions: Since the various connections are not color coded, I am afraid to play Russian Roulette and just start connecting wires to the terminals on the switch. Could that fry something? It is all 12 volt.
I realize this sounds like it is coming from an idiot, but my last RV experience was about 30 years ago with a STARCRAFT POP-UP.

so, HELP!!!!!
9 REPLIES 9

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am the person whom which is answering...

Turn igntion to on.
Start windshield wipers
Twist key further to "crank" starter
Do wipers stop during cranking?
If YES
Then YES

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you know where the wires go figuring them out is easy.

I have a question for the person who commented on ignition 1 and 2.. Do Diesels have Ignition 2?

You have a Battery lead. this wire is HOT (has power) ALL the time

You have an "Ignition" lead, Not sure where it goes on a diesel but suspect a fuel solenoid somewhere

You have a "Starter" wire. This too may have power on it.. or not.. depending on the wiring of the solenoid. (measure at the solenoid)

And Accessory (no power there)

To ID the Ignition and Solenoid wires..

Disconnect from Solenoid and apply say six volts or even 1.5, a common D-Cell) to the other end of the wire, Then look for the one and only one wire with THAT specific voltage on it.. Tag it and figure out the NEXT wire
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Find your chassis id info
Then buy the Chilton's book for that chassis that year
It will have all the ignition wiring and the numbers and color codes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There are far too many idiots disguised as electrical technicians.

Find someone versed in the art of diagnosing and repairing emission controls electrical harness problems. Most do general electrical troubleshooting and repair. Idiots attempting this specialty do not stay in business long.

Just A Tip...

KENTUCKYNEWBIE
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Thanks to everyone who responded. My real problem is that the wires are not connected to the switch. I could trace, but would not know which terminal to connect to which wire. Think I will find a good local mechanic to work this one out for me.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I didn't expect so many so soon. Stick around, you have certainly not heard the last from me.:)

hughesjm21
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest going back to the chassis manufacturer to see if they have drawings for that year as a starting point. How the switch interacts with the coach will require wire tracing I think.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IGNITION 1 Works when key is on

IGNITION 2 Works with key is on and works in accessory position as well.

Trace wires backwards from chassis fuses to individual switch wires.

I used a white marker board and colored marker pens.

Always check WIRES IN DOUBT with an ohm meter. .01 ohms is a red flag.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just a suggestion but I would not take it to any RV dealer. They may be adapt at working on the RV part of your MH but the chassis stuff is best left to a good mechanic.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Your motor home is built on some chassis, probably Chevy or Ford. Pull the switch and take it to a parts store to match it up with a new switch which may have instructions.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO