cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Individual wheel weight, can't find scales

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to find scales somewhere in SoCal that weigh each corner of my MH instead of each axle. There just aren't any. My neighbor suggested buying a portable one and go into business. Well, I know there are lot of us out there that would like to find the weight of each wheel(s), but I'm sure you'd have to get business licenses and permits for every county here in California that you try to do business. Where would you do it? I see some have offered scales some rallies or events. Looks like scales start at $1,100 and quickly go up. Weighings can cost $30-55.
It's just an idea and I really don't want to work, I'm retired. Just looking for a place to get it weighed.
10 REPLIES 10

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what's the big deal about weight on all 4 wheels, just have the front and rear axel weights from any truck stop, only cost about $15.00, and just pack your motorhome even on each side of compartments, its not that hard and a little more weight on one side does not effect much.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know any racers? They use portable scales to set up the balance on their cars from front to back and from side to side.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out CAT Scales are the trucker stations etc.

See if they have physical room to drive on the scales off-set with just one side of RV. Some don't have enough room OR they have rails on platforms

First do a normal weigh....front axle on front platform and rear axle on other platform

Then do a re-weigh with just one side/tire-axle of RV on each platform

Do the math...full weights minus the set of side weights.....that will give you the opposite side/axle weights

CAT Scale Locator
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
Thanks for the tip on Congress. I see that it's an Escapee retreat, do you have to be a member? I'm in luck as we are going to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and can take stop over the night before at Blake Ranch, then next morning head over to Congress and schedule a late morning weigh. Then on to the Grand Canyon.
Thanks!

Not sure about membership but I'd contact them anyway to be sure their equipment etc is all up and running etc. They may also have other times open or be more flexible with your schedule. When we stayed at Congress last fall it seemed like it ran like a very well oiled machine. Great people at the parks we have stayed at and well worth our membership.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I simply drove just one wheel onto the scale. Then the front only, followed by the rear, followed by the whole rv.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip on Congress. I see that it's an Escapee retreat, do you have to be a member? I'm in luck as we are going to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and can take stop over the night before at Blake Ranch, then next morning head over to Congress and schedule a late morning weigh. Then on to the Grand Canyon.
Thanks!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to RVSAFETY.COM May cost you 60 bucks but there is a link on the page

In the old days they linked to Aweigh-We-Go and those folks carry portable scales,, You make an appointment and they come to you.

Many Junk yards can weigh you.. You need a segmented scale and park with one axle on each segment... Get total axle weight and total RV weight.. Then pull around so only one side is on the scale.. Get weight for that side,, Total axle weight less one side = other side.

NOTE: scale must be FLAT, CAT scales are segmented, but are usually "Bridge" type and you can't use that kind.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The scales in OR are left on when not stopping trucks to be weighed. There is room to get off to the side of the scale to weigh one side and then room to turn around and weigh the other side. Why turn around??? the amount the MH leans to one side will change the side weight by more than you would believe... can't just subtract the one side from the combined axle weights.
Until you can get side weights, weigh each axle and add 5 psi.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was going to suggest Escapees, but that was done above. I've seen RV rallies offer weighings, too. Portable scales, I suppose. Try feed suppliers, moving/storage companies, even scrap yards. Just don't run your good RV tires through their shrapnel fields they call roads in there!

What you need is a legal-for-trade scale that's just a patch in the ground so you can drive down either side.

But seriously, My Friend, get the jump on this by going to a Travel Center (politically correct language for Truck Stop) and use their CAT Scale for aroung $10. You will get 95-pct of the benefit of four-corner weights. Load as for a trip, people and all. Hitch up your Toad. You'll get Front Axle, Rear Axle, and Toad weights.

Guides like Michelin point out that you set pressure to the heaviest loaded tire on your axle, not according to weight on each front tire or each dual pair. Me, I just used scale weight on the chart and got MUCH better tracking with our E450. Naturally, too little air is bad, but with a Ford, too MUCH air, on the front, is bad on YOU.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB