cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Install 300 AH Lipo

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 300 Lipo I'm installing on my TT. Choices of place are front frame (most usual place), In front pass through compartment, or under bed. Front frame is a problem, as I can't find box to fit. Front compartment, who wants to loose that space? Under bed, would need to build box (plywood) and it would be pretty inaccessible; but my preferred location. Question is, how much accessibility is really needed?
Thanks,
Doug
12 REPLIES 12

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Considering all factors, one which was box size, I installed my LiFePO4 under my bed in the pass through storage. Easy-peasy, disconnected the old battery on the tongue, freed up the wires. Drilled a hole through the floor and connected the new battery inside. I added a battery disconnect initially. Only needed one more cable from the disconnect to the battery, otherwise, used the stock cabling.

Since then Iโ€™ve added a couple buss bars, second battery, solar connections, shunt battery monitor, and a 2000 watt inverter. And lots of thick wiring.

Leaving a LiFePO4 battery on a trailer tongue unsecured is money in the wallet of a thief.
FLA batteries get stolen from storage lots all the time and are worth at best less than half the $$ of LiFePO4. And sleeping nearby, if plugged in at a CG, you wouldnโ€™t notice a brazen thief taking your battery if your converter is working.

You just need a retaining block and/or strap for interior battery mounting of LiFePO4. No venting, no liquids, no acid overflow concerns. And it can be mounted in any orientation, whatever is convenient for ease of wiring.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
doughere wrote:
I have a 300 Lipo I'm installing on my TT. Choices of place are front frame (most usual place), In front pass through compartment, or under bed. Front frame is a problem, as I can't find box to fit. Front compartment, who wants to loose that space? Under bed, would need to build box (plywood) and it would be pretty inaccessible; but my preferred location. Question is, how much accessibility is really needed?
Thanks,
Doug

You would need a box anywhere you put it. one thing to consider is with the cost of the LFP batteries they have quickly become something the dealers are starting to see ripped off. by putting it under the bed it is in the conditioned space and the self-heating wouldnt come on very often. if you were to put it in the pass through, I would secure it a bit, everyone has that key on their rv keys, and on the tongue, I would get a heavy metal lockable box that is bolted to the frame in a way you can't undo it from the outside of the box and has a good locking system. it's sad we have come to this with our RV's
but you have to deter people from taking your stuff now a days
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
Early LI batteries had a tendency to FLAME ON due to crappy control systems.
Newer ones .. Well any battery can do it Even lead acid. but the odds have gone way way down.... I used to sleep atop a Lead Acid and still sleep beside 3 of them.. When they get replaced I'll be going LiFePo4

It really has nothing to do with early as the nickel cobalt LI is still being used. LiFePO4 is just a different chemistry which is more resistant to thermal runaway.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Early LI batteries had a tendency to FLAME ON due to crappy control systems.
Newer ones .. Well any battery can do it Even lead acid. but the odds have gone way way down.... I used to sleep atop a Lead Acid and still sleep beside 3 of them.. When they get replaced I'll be going LiFePo4

I'd go with the current battery location.. If all else fails a good metal smith can easily weld up a battery box for you.. just 5 flat plates some holes and a lid. the lid can be other than metal if you like. Well painted plywood and 1x2 edges.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
With the potential for LiPo battery fires I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d want it under the bed.

Another unsupportable lithium โ€˜wives taleโ€™ (of many previous launched here) attempts to grow legsโ€ฆWith LiFePo4 Lithium chemistry the chances of a fire are nary close to zero, in fact they are not even considered hazardous materialโ€ฆSee section 3:

https://www.liteplan.com/images/products/Batteries/LiFePO4/LP_-_MSDS_-_LiFePO4.pdf

For comparison only, hereโ€™s for SiO2:

https://materion.com/api/materion/Msds/Download?fileName=1ZT_SILICON%20DIOXIDE%20%28SIO2%29_SDS-US_English.pdf

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
msmith1199 wrote:
With the potential for LiPo battery fires I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d want it under the bed.

Hope you put your cell phones out in the shed at night too, thenโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Self heating is nice! What batt(s) did you go with?

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Should have been more specific; battery is LiPo4 with self heating. I was not worried about fire under bed (or anywhere else). Front frame would be easy (present batteries are there, wire is there), may try again to find suitable box. Front pass through would be good as inverter & solar controller is there, under bed good as it is in compartment next to inverter & solar controller

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If LiPo4, they are extremely safe. I plan on putting mine under the bed.
If your trailer is like mine with a front bedroom, the connections to the existing battery are actually under the floor of the bed. You may be able to see them behind a removable panel under the trailer.

LiPo4 safety

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I would go under the bed, thatโ€™s where my two 280ah are. It is in the back of my crew cab, I removed the rear seats for a bed platform. Less to worry about cold temperatures and charging.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you post the box size needed someone may have a solution. Or modifiy a larger box to fit including a non battery box. Or use the plywood box with a nice water resistant finish on the front.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4