cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing 30 amp outlet

kateh
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a travel trailer (2008 cherokee) and had an electrician come to install a 30 amp outlet to plug it into. ($500) Immediately when plugging in it trips. We had a second electrician come and he turned off all the breakers on the trailer and turned them on one by one. He says that 3 breakers cause it to trip immediately, the microwave, the battery charger, and I think he said the a/c. He says he will need to follow each wire separately to find and fix the problem and not doing this is a fire hazard. Sigh.
29 REPLIES 29

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
He says that 3 breakers cause it to trip immediately,
--------------------------------------------------
That statement make no sense. Did he mean the #3 brealer caused it to trip ? If so, whatever is powered by that breaker is shorted. If 3 items are powered by it, turn off all 3 items, then turn them on one at a time. Which ever one trips the breaker, is the shorted item.
Why does this seem quite simple ?:h
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Stick with it and you will find and fix the issue.
First verify the outlet is 120vac and polarity with a 30/15 adapter and outlet tester.

If you start turning on breakers what trips? the 30 amp house breaker? 30 amp main RV breaker or the 15/20 RV branch circuit?

Then we will unplug and dig into finding the short.

kateh
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I can't get this to post in the right place much like I can't get anything to work in my trailer. Having serious buyers remorse.

kateh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. I should have mentioned that I specifically made sure he was installing a 30amp/ 120volt and not 220 volt before he started and it is a single slot. It is a dedicated circuit. I'm not sure how many amps the house has. It is a very small 1950s era house. The breaker in the garage trips as soon as it is plugged in. I also read that too many ground faults in the system can make it trip but the second electrician said that it still should not trip and could be a fire hazard. Could it just be that there are a lot of trailers out there that are fire hazards and no one knows because all the campground plugins are not grounded?

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Had an electrician do the wiring for a 30 amp RV at my sister's. Little voice in the back of my head said check it before you plug it in. Sure enough, 220VAC. Went into the breaker box and fixed it myself then had the electrical come out, explained the installation to him. All is good now.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at your breaker he installed. Is it a single or double throw 30 amp? If double he wired 220 and you have a problem.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I was only running about 10 feet of wire, so for the price difference, I had them wire a 240v 50 amp and I use my 50 to 30 pigtail adapter.
If I get a bigger trailer, motorhome, or want to run a welder etc. it's already set up
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
there was a post either on this forum or the keystone forum about how not to trust the electric ans to install 30 amp 120V. they always think you need 240 volts not 120.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I had an electrician do it for me as well, as I wanted to make darn sure I followed electrical code. However I discovered that the master electrician who I have worked together with for many years and is very competent, had never wired this type of plug and I ended up knowing more about it than him.
Take a look at this article, it will give you the basics of what is needed for this setup, so you may be able to verify their work or talk to them about their work.
http://www.myrv.us/electric/pg/30amp_service.htm

A few thoughts for your situation (some are dumb but no harm in eliminating the obvious):
- do you see a 4th wire in the receptacle? That would indicate it is possibly 240v
- is the breaker in the house for it a double throw (looks like a double wide breaker with 2 switches attached by a bar)? That would indicate it is probably 240v
- which breaker tripped: one or more trailer breakers, the trailer main, the breaker in the house for the trailer, or the house main? That may help narrow down the situation
- do you know what your house fuse box is 50A or 100A?
- was there anything of significant running in the house at the time ie Stove, Dryer and your wife drying off a St Bernard with 4 hair dryers at once?
- have you ever plugged into a 30A campsite before to confirm it works
- if you have a volt meter look at the first pic in the above link of the receptacle in your garage. Plug the red lead of the volt meter into slot marked with black and the black lead into the white slot or the round slot marked with green. Either of these combo's will measure abt 120v, any other combo will not. If you get anything else let the electrician know. It is good to know how to do this as you should check the pedestal at every campground before you plug into shore power.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is the new outlet on a dedicated circuit?
Single or double 30 amp breaker?

Otherwise unplug and check the outlet voltage. s/b 120 volts.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/30amp_Service.htm

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Fourth reply, also thinking that the first one wired it to 220 volts and the second one did not get a volt meter out and check.

I would replace both if that is the case. Both of them should have been checking the voltage at a outlet with a METER to measure the voltage. If you find 220 volts, then the first one should have to pay for the new (and probably failed) microwave, TV, converter, air conditioner, and whatever else is not working now.. .

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ill bet its wired 220. Non RV savvy electricians have done that many times. Hope your home insurance pays.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
Did the first electrician wire it 30 amps 240 volts by mistake?

That's my best guess. Stand by to replace every electrical device in your trailer.

I would NEVER trust an electrician to wire up a 30 or 50 amp RV service drop without checking behind 'em (before they leave) to make sure it is wired 120 volts, and with the proper polarity.

Actually, I'd wire the flippin' thing myself in the first place, but that's another story.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the first electrician wire it 30 amps 240 volts by mistake?