cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing a cutoff switch

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I just had to replace the 12V distribution panel on my '01 Tradewinds DP and now have discovered that I have a major battery drain which seems to be before the cutoff switch and really don't want to get the mobile tech out again. I am thinking about getting a regular marine cutoff switch and installing that to totally cut off the power. I am not worried about the alarm as I already had to disconnect that. There are two ways to connect these, one is to cut the cable and install connectors on each of the cut ends and the other is to get a post connector and not have to worry about cutting that big piece of copper cable and pressing new ends on it.
So I'm looking for advice on this from folks that have done this.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)
6 REPLIES 6

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find the problem. start by puting a meter on the battery, then pull fuses one by one, till the meter drops.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
You have a power draw somewhere and need to find it. Could be a dangerous situation.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would be trying to trace the drain and fix the problem.
Marine disconnect should work very well.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too put a cutoff switch to disconnect the batteries when the RV is stored in the barn.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's my shunt and battery disconnect switch. Disconnecting alarms while using the RV would be unwise.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob