cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interior LED lights.

Linedog
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'll be the first to admit that I'm no rocket surgeon but my pin head got to thinking. I was in CW and was looking at the wedge base LED lights, and wow they look a lot like my Malibu outdoor 12 volt lights. So I bought one, at $13.50 I'm only buying one that's for sure. At home I open my Malibu lighting and replace the bulb with the LED unit and it fires right up. So into the trailer we go, I remove a stock C-921 bulb and insert the LED, and it fires right up. I replace the LED with a Malibu light and it fires right up. Does anyone see a pattern here? What's to stop me from ordering 10 LED bulbs off EBay at roughly $2.25 apiece and trying them? Anyone else try this and have good results?
Poptarts and gravy, It's what's for dinner.
14 REPLIES 14

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
I ordered the 10 piece lot of the 24 led array yesterday and received this email form them today.
Hi Sir, thanks for your order, the unit price $0.84/piece product is 6 5050SMD LED, Not the 24LED shown in the photo, the dimension is 3.5x2cm.
Please confirm if it is ok, or we can refund your money to you when you cancel your order. Thank you!

China - Go figure.

The 6-5050 light will probably not be as bright as the 24-1210. I'd say find another vender.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the 10 piece lot of the 24 led array yesterday and received this email form them today.
Hi Sir, thanks for your order, the unit price $0.84/piece product is 6 5050SMD LED, Not the 24LED shown in the photo, the dimension is 3.5x2cm.
Please confirm if it is ok, or we can refund your money to you when you cancel your order. Thank you!

China - Go figure.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
If the landscape lamps are the round flat type with 12 or 24 surface mount less, they should work quite well. The 12 led are type 5050 and the 24 led type are (if I remember correctly) type 1210. If they are in warm white, and if you are happy with the light output, try them. They are cheap enough.

I have used the 36 type 1210 and the 15 type 5050 led panels, and I prefer the 15 type 5050 ones. On the 36 led panels I notice some shadowing when I read, and the denser layout seems to result in soldering problems that cause one or two groups of three to not light.

I've not noticed any rfi problems, but wouldn't expect to with fm or digital TV. I mostly camp off grid and value the reduced current draw. Plugged in at home they work fine.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If running off of 12VAC one can expect a significantly less lumen output. The device PIV value will handle it.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Sloop Smitten wrote:

One thing I have heard is the more expensive bulbs have some regulation built in that helps to prevent interfernce with your radio and electronic devices. This would probably be more noticeable on AM frequencies. Have you tried the radio while the light is on?

You heard it wrong.

The "buck" regulators CAUSE RFI not prevent it.

You are correct Paul. I had it backwards. Thanks for clarifying.

Linedog
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered some off Amazon, will see how they work. Amazon has a great return policy.
Poptarts and gravy, It's what's for dinner.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced all my interior lights with LEDs. Good lighting with greatly reduced current drain. I suggest you buy 1 or 2 of what you think you would like and try them. Then, if you are pleased with the result, go ahead and buy what you need. I bought some 36-1210 panels from a different vender than I had previously used, I thought they were the same as I had previously bought. When I started using them I found they were much dimmer and not what I wanted. All LED lights are NOT created equal.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
One thing I have heard is the more expensive bulbs have some regulation built in that helps to prevent interfernce with your radio and electronic devices. This would probably be more noticeable on AM frequencies. Have you tried the radio while the light is on?

You heard it wrong.

The "buck" regulators CAUSE RFI not prevent it.

tvman44 wrote:
I connected the 48 LED panels to a 12 volt 3 terminal regulator (7812) as we only camp with hook ups. ๐Ÿ™‚

The "7812" three terminal regulator is a linear device and does not generate RFI.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
This is a 24 LED panel light, you can wire it into the exsisting fixtures in your RV. Each light is only $0.84 when bought in a pack of 10 for $8.40.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-3-core-5050-smd-led-car-lamp-plate-reading-lamp-roof-lamp-rear-lig...

I just bought 4 more lots, about $33 including shipping. Should arrive in about 3 weeks. I am installing some of them on a friend's house, where I installed a 90 watt solar panel, 25 AH battery, and solar controller that automatically turns on the lights after the sun sets. So the panels are mounted on the eves, pointing down, giving off more light than a malibu light set would do.

To wire the house, I have #18 gauge wire strung around the house protected by a 7.5 amp fuse, and running 8 of these panels is less than 2 amps. It lights up the front of the house pretty well, and I will put 10 more in the back yard.

To install these LED panels in my RV fixtures, I first cut the wires to the exsiting bulb base, then wired in 2 of the "adapters" to the +12 and ground wires using small blue wire nuts. Then remove the double sided tape from the back of the LED panels, and apply that to the fixture, pointing down.

I put two of the 24 LED panels in each side of the fixture in my bathroom, and have plenty of light with only 0.4 amps power to run all 96 of the LED's.

For my porch light, I also removed the wires to the bulb base, and installed 4 adapters, using wire nuts, and sheet metal to attach all 4 of the panels to face near the cover, and the cover holds them in place against the new metal mounting bracket. So they shine outward. IT lights up the side of the house pretty well. The 315 watt solar system keeps the battery full, despite also running the CO meter and propane leak detector full time as well.

For my pump on indicator light, I used a 12 LED panel that I had purchased earlier. It also lights up the bathroom and kitchen well enough to see by when walking around at night.

For replacement running lights, I bought but have not installed some T-19? bulbs that have 5 LED's per bulb, and will directly replace all of my running lights. I bought about 20 of them for around $17. My plan is to install them some day, and it will reduce the amperage going to the running lights from 14+ amps to less than 3 amps, also providing more light, and at 12.5 volts, not the reduced 9.5 volts now due to the excess amperage that the factory installed bulbs currently take. WHile installing these replacement LED's, I will have to keep the running lights on, because the replacements will fit both directions, yet only light up when the +12 and ground are installed correctly. I think that this is the same type base as used in 12 volt malibu lights. I have seen the T-19 base sold with anywhere from 5 LED's to 18 LED's in each bulb. I bought the 5 LED for the best price and also a weak bulb light output consistant with the low wattage of running lights.

Good luck on your LED light set up.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I connected the 48 LED panels to a 12 volt 3 terminal regulator (7812) as we only camp with hook ups. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I found this interesting 24 LED panel light at AliExpress.com

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-10pcs-G4-24-SMD-5050-LED-Warm-White-Day-White-Spotlight...

By the way, a normal LED light should not be run on 12 VAC. It should only be run on 12 VDC.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of the lights in our trailer with ebay leds and love them. We only boondock and don't worry that they are unregulated. The ones we use have been tested and don't start popping till you hit 20v. The LEDs are the least of my worries if my system is at 20v.

Regulated LEDs are the safe route if you do a mix of shore power/ dry camp. They can cause RFI and even mess with TV signals. You could also do like I do and keep some incandescent bulbs to swap out when you have hook ups.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I have heard is the more expensive bulbs have some regulation built in that helps to prevent interfernce with your radio and electronic devices. This would probably be more noticeable on AM frequencies. Have you tried the radio while the light is on? I had a couple of cheap LED's, made in China, that worked well on battery power but as soon as I powered up using AC volatge the converter kicked in at about 14VDC and blew them both out. Just something to ponder.

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine from Amazon cheap work fine .
Gary