cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter/Converter help?

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to add a PSW inverter to my TT, I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 3KW. I don't necessarily need something perhaps that big however I'm thinking if I wanted to add battery capacity, this part I would not have to do again. Kind'a do it once and be done. I'm wondering if I could get help in directing me on how would be best to wire it? I'm wanting to isolate my converter when I have the inverter "on." I know it is recomended to have the inverter as close to the batteries as possible (for the current draw on 12V DC vs. 120 VAC) however I am thinking of running heavy wire and place the inverter in the enclosure with the connverter. I would like to somehow have a single switch as a cut-out (if that is possible) so as to "turn off the conver" as the inverter is switched on (a single throw switch that does both?). Is there a way to do what I'm looking for? Any help would be much appreciated.

The TT has two 6V deep cycle marine batteries right now. The idea is to have all outlets energized through the inverter realizing that my "power supply" is limitted by the number of amphours available with the batteries I have on board.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
33 REPLIES 33

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
E&J push'n wind wrote:
...The TT has two 6V deep cycle marine batteries right now. The idea is to have all outlets energized through the inverter realizing that my "power supply" is limitted by the number of amphours available with the batteries I have on board.

An alternative is to just plug your shore power cable into the inverter and cut the power to the converter. This is what we do. I isolated my converter 120V AC input power to its own AC breaker and I just flip that breaker off when I'm going to plug into the inverter. All outlets are energized when running off the inverter. Fridge and water heater are set to propane. Not all inverters will allow this though, the first one I tried it with (Samlex MSW) would shut down fault immediately if I plugged my shore power cable into it. It said in the manual to not use it to energize an AC panel.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How may feet will you be from the battery? You will need minimum 4/0 wire about the size of a garden hose. Four batteries minimum, six+ preferred for 3000 watts.

Combo unit is fine or wire the inverter to provide power after the converter so that you have no issues.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
E&J push'n wind wrote:
I would like to somehow have a single switch as a cut-out (if that is possible) so as to "turn off the conver" as the inverter is switched on (a single throw switch that does both?). Is there a way to do what I'm looking for?
If you buy an I/C it's all done automatically.

If you're sinking big bux into a unit, and preparing for heavy use, an IC has a much better charger than your converter. That way, you really are done.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Running the microwave, Keurig or other high wattage appliance from the battery bank would be the reason for wanting a 3kW inverter. 2kW will handle those items easily and save you a few bucks. If you're not planning on running anything like that, a 300W inverter will run most anything. Two 6V's is light for a 2kW inverter let alone a 3kW. Most here have four 6V's minimum.