cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter/Converter Issue

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
I need a hand guys. I have been helping a buddy with his fifth wheel wire in an Inverter. He has a 50 amp. service with a ATS. Also a stand alone 100 amp. converter/charger with a seperate fuse pannel. Inverter install went fine, the problem is how to power up the converter/charger from both the shore power and genset? I have it hooked up off a shore power leg but I am stuck. Do we need another ATS and if so how would it be wired in. (background, I used a 30amp. transfer switch connected to the fuse box side of the 50amp. ATS to power up only one leg of the coach. This inables only the outlets, TV and foreward AC to work off of the new inverter. Yes no AC is ever to be switched on while on the inverter) Thanks Chino
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In theory that kind of inverter/converter will have a built in ATS, You should be able to feed it, likely with 10ga wire and a 30 amp breaker, off the main panel and it should pass through. HOWEVER...

The inverter I have is somewhat like yours.. It has three switches that control it.. (And I can add one more if I wish) on the inverter is a switch, if this switch is OFF, nothing works, Not the inverter, not the charger module and no power passes through. NOTHING.

Then there are switches on the remote they enable or disable the inverter and converter sections.. In addition if shore power is present and the INVERTER is "Enabled" then it goes into "Standby" mode.. automatically, and power is passed. If it is disabled, power is passed.

But if the switch on the inverter itself is off (Or if I add the optional REMOTE and turn it off) Nothing is passed. NO current flows.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most inverter/chargers have a built-in transfer switch. Just put it on a circuit of its own in the AC panel and it should take care of itself. That is the best I can do without model numbers, but I did this a lot on boats before the depression.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the 30a transfer switch is on a separate branch circuit then all will operate same as before.

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
So ATS #3 will control the genset signal to power up the charger, right?
So how do I wire that so I don't back feed through the converter line to the shore power side? Thanks all. Chino

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you need another ATS. Your existing ATS manages power to the enabled outlets and will switch between the inverter and shore power as power sources. Now you need an ATS to manage the source of shore power, either genset or plugged in via the shore cord.

So ATS #1 controls the source of shore power, either plugged in genset. If neither are present, ATS #2 switches to the inverter to power those outlets. Make sense?

MrWizard
Stand alone converter, is a new add-on?
Or factory install ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't understand the question. The converter/charger should have been powered from the ATS through the breaker panel on either shore power or generator when you bought the RV. You should not have altered that in any way when installing the inverter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB