cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter generator for gulfstream 198bh

edekgb
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new amerilite bunk house and it has a Fridgidair 8000 btu air conditioner. Can I get opinions and advice on buying an inverter generator to get this ac compressor up and running.
43 REPLIES 43

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
HappyCamper16 wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Don't be fooled by the Westinghouse name.
The name was sold to companies in China, to make products to sell in the U.S., since it's a familiar name.
Nearly all the reviews I've seen about them are negative.
And where do you think you can get warranty work done?

From what I know: Westpro is a licensee of Westinghouse, who do design and manufacture in China, just as 100% of every other manufacture. In fact many or most go through the same plants. What type of experiences have you had with Westinghouse generators? All I see are really good reviews out there.

You haven't stated where or how warranty work is done for this off brand.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

HappyCamper16
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Don't be fooled by the Westinghouse name.
The name was sold to companies in China, to make products to sell in the U.S., since it's a familiar name.
Nearly all the reviews I've seen about them are negative.
And where do you think you can get warranty work done?

From what I know: Westpro is a licensee of Westinghouse, who do design and manufacture in China, just as 100% of every other manufacture. In fact many or most go through the same plants. What type of experiences have you had with Westinghouse generators? All I see are really good reviews out there.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are these soft starters easy to install and I wonder if they will void the warranty of the A.C. unit?
The links I used previously were all for fixed-location heat pumps and air conditioners and might be too big for RV use. Some municipalities are requiring their use to reduce strain on the power infrastructure. Dometic has a soft start device for small air conditioners but it looks like they're actively marketing it just for marine use. From what I have heard, as expensive as RVs are, boat owners spend even more money. Here's a link to the Dometic soft starter and its spec sheet:
Dpmetic SmartStart-II web page
Spec sheet
In a video accessed from the web page they show the start current of a 16k air conditioner reduced from 49.1 amps to 16.8 amps. Interestingly, on the spec sheet it says that starting the motor slowly reduces stress on the compressor, just the opposite of what we've been reading on the forum for years. On the page from one of the prior links, it again makes the opposite claim "Reduced stress and heating of compressor/motor therefore extending the life". To directly answer the question, it appears pretty easy to install, and I'd sure hope the Dometic soft started woouldn't void the warranty of a Dometic air conditioner!

The second post on this page has a lengthy writeup from Dometic. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/62158-honda-eu2000i-air-conditioning-3.html No need for anybody to point out the the Dometic device behavior is different than simple current-induced voltage drop. That's pretty obvious.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

edekgb
Explorer
Explorer
Are these soft starters easy to install and I wonder if they will void the warranty of the A.C. unit?

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

Torturing an AC motor with 95 volt starting is every bit as bad with a generator as it is on flaky campground power pedestal AC.

Yet devices to limit air conditioner starting current are all the rage these days...
http://www.emersonclimate.com/europe/en-eu/Products/Electronics/Alco_Electronic_Controls/Pages/Compr...
http://hypereng.com/single_phase.html
http://www.hvacwebconnection.com/Products/airconditioner_softstart.htm
2009 Fleetwood Icon

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You generator/ air conditioner folks ever take a reading with an AC voltmeter when starting or running an AC?

Torturing an AC motor with 95 volt starting is every bit as bad with a generator as it is on flaky campground power pedestal AC.

I have a personal rule I never violate:

If voltage sags to 105 volts or lower during a high-head restart, I find another larger power source or do without the AC

edekgb
Explorer
Explorer
I received the Westinghouse wh2400i via ups and tried it on my trailer. First off I would like to say that this gene seems well put together and strong and sturdy. Started on the second pull and has been running great for 7 hours off and on.
So this gene ran everything in my trailer including the a.c. The microwave bogged the gene down a little but didn't over load it and the a.c. ran with the microwave off. The a.c. and microwave running together might have overloaded it but I didn't try the two at the same time. The a.c. had to be slowly raised from low thru it's different cool settings little by little over time other wise it overloaded the gene (I tried to go straight to high cool and 7, the highest of the cool settings 1-7) and it set the overload switch to red and I had to turn the a.c. back down, hit the reset button and start over, this time stepping up every few mins and it worked fine like that.
All in all, im happy with it, now let's just see how long it lasts.

edekgb
Explorer
Explorer
jimindenver - I have thought about and researched about the solar option and thank you, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Westinghouse wh2400i.

http://www.westpropower.com/inverter_info.iml?id=4

Will let you all know how it goes - will receive it in a week

edekgb
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I do. Reviews I read were about the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator. Home depot

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
edekgb wrote:
The things that have stuck out is that they are loud and heavy. Im trying to go the alternate route of loud and heavy for a small trailer.

You are reading reviews of the Champion NON-inverter open-frame generators, NOT their INVERTER generators.

The Champion 2000 and 3100 inverter models weigh about the same as the comparable Honda and Yamaha versions.

You do understand the difference between inverter generators and non-inverter generators, right?
It's the non-inverter open frame generators that "loud and heavy".
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
edekgb wrote:
I have not done research here on this site about champion generators. I have read reviews on Costco and amazon. The things that have stuck out is that they are loud and heavy. Im trying to go the alternate route of loud and heavy for a small trailer.

Loud and heavy describes my 3500/4000 open frame although there are some inverter generators nearly as loud and a few louder. In any event I wouldn't want to be parked next to one running or even a Honda 3000 for that matter.

The Champion 3100i is the same noise level as the Honda Handi. The Champion is the same as a Honda 2000 on eco mode and a bit louder at full load.

I may poke fun at the red and blue crowd for the all or nothing approach but you have to admit the Honda and Yamaha earned their stripes and have good product if you can afford it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think that many people make the 1,000 vs. 2,000 watt choice based on the price difference. It's the size and/or weight that's the main decision point.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
edekgb wrote:
Can I start with a Honda or Yamaha 1000 now thru the fall and spring and find that I don't go out away from shore power a lot and rough it very often in the heat of summer. Use the small high end one to charge my battery, run my lights, run my heater fan, and not my ac and microwave? And then if I find that im liking this and going out often in the summer then parallel a 2000 Honda or Yamaha to it's 1000 that I already would own?

The price difference between the 1000 and 2000 Watt units is only $200.

How much sense does it make to spend $800 now, and another $1000 later, for a total of $1800, when you can spend $1000 now and be set for a good long time?

You can parallel a 1000 and a 2000 together, but it is not recommended or supported by any of the generator manufacturers.

Camping generators are something you want to "cheap out" on.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ratings on some of these cheap generators have only a passing bearing on how much power they can actually supply on an extended basis.

I think I would get one of the Ryobi generators from Home Depot before a Westinghouse or Homelite, based on the reviews I've seen. I don't know that the Ryobi is necessarily any better, but at least repair parts etc. should be more or less available, and there's a store to bring it back to and gripe and hopefully get an exchange if it doesn't work right fresh out of the box.

A used Honda or Yamaha would be superior to a new one of any of these, IMHO.