cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter Generator Update?

HighCover
Explorer
Explorer
My Yamaha Efi 2400 is 10 years old and I can't seem to get it to idle anymore, even after attempting to service it. So, time for a new QUIET generator.

Looking for recommendations for a quiet generator that will start am 11.5kBTU AC unit? I know Honda is very good, but are there any other options nowadays that are a bit more affordable?

Thank you for your thoughts.

- Dan
2010 F-150, 5.4L, 3.73
2011 Edge M17
58 REPLIES 58

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:
A surge protector at an Rv park or for shore power?,,, ok....but for a 2000 watt inverter generator? That's a waste..

I wouldn't necessarily disagree but for those who have a hard wired Progressive EMS it's not such an easy matter to remove it when not on shore power. Yes, it does offer a bypass mode but that does NOT remove the surge protector portion of the unit from the circuit, only physically removing it does. That means either installing a transfer switch that will remove the EMS from the circuit when not on shore power or wiring in the hard wire unit using matching sets of male/female RV connectors. I chose the latter solution.

I don't believe an inverter puts out a whacky sign wave...

Believe what you want ... engineering staff at Progressive Industries have determined that it does. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my experience, what hurts Yamaha is the lack of a dealer/repair network. Hondas, I can get repaired almost anywhere. Champions, similar. The Yamaha just didn't have any service depots in my area. There are places that sell them, but none would do more than basic oil changes on the models.

After hearing various inverter models, I'd say the best bang for the buck are Champion models. The best generator to buy, period, is the Honda eu7000i, with twinned Honda eu2000i models being the staple of what most RVs have.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
However it can be argued that Yahama are actually better ...

I don't know how you'd justify a claim like this, especially when it's a documented fact that the Yamaha EF2000iS (and who knows, perhaps other models as well) distorts the output waveform under some conditions and is known to destroy a Progressive Industries EMS. Ergo the reason Progressive long ago issued this Warranty Disclaimer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A surge protector at an Rv park or for shore power?,,, ok....but for a 2000 watt inverter generator? That's a waste..in 25 yeas, I have seen maybe 2 surge protectors being used...Maybe progressive industries needs to make a better protector for the yamahas...but I don't believe it... I don't believe an inverter puts out a whacky sign wave...

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Honda 3000i , Yamaha 300is..I chose the Yamaha. 2dbs quieter, fuel gauge, wheels, battery cable, ...however, they are extremely heavy. I've had the twin hondas and the yamahas.. Here the hondas are quieter and have a larger engine so there no bogging when the ac starts. However, I still liked the yamahas better. Yamahas have metal knob choke, Honda plastic slide choke..Was looking to purchas 2yamahas again. I've sold all my gens and wound up going to Costco. I purchased the Champion 2800 that has 3100 max watts. I know what you're thinking. Cheap Chinese knock offs. That's what I thought. I thought if I don't like it I can bring it back. I put it on Costco charge to get a 4 year warranty. Brought it home, unboxed it, add d oil and gas.. WHAMO, first pull start. I have to say it is quiet... similar to the Honda 3000... Champion has rubber wheels, built in pull handle, battery charge cables, Champion tech support with a live American answers the phone.. Honda and yammys weigh in at 150 lbs. Champion under 90 lbs.. Honda and Yama are at 2000.00 plus.. champion was 699.99! I'm going to try it out and see how it goes.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
That 7000 watt generator is a monster. I didn't know they made quiet inverter generators that big. I think I would take off the wheels, though. It's a lot cheaper than dual EU3000i's to boot. At about $3000, that seems to be the way to go, unless you need to load and unload it from the truck's bed!
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Jimf1234 wrote:
Someone mentioned a honda 3000 not starting the ac. They also mentioned it was $1450 I'm thinking they had the handi 3000 which is not even close to the 3000eu.

It was the EU3000IS, the quiet inverter. But, it was a long, long time ago! Probably when it first came out. It couldn't handle the surge.

Jimf1234
Explorer
Explorer
Someone mentioned a honda 3000 not starting the ac. They also mentioned it was $1450 I'm thinking they had the handi 3000 which is not even close to the 3000eu.

I have played with many different honda generators and tried linking them. The 3000eu is by far the quietest generator at low loads made. I have tried 2 and 3 honda 2000's and the the 3000 is much quieter under load than the 2000's. They exhaust note is much higher pitched than the low deep note of the 3000.

I bought the new honda 7000eu to run both of my a/c's and it is great. Fuel injected and push button start. The 7000 is rated at 52-60 db and the 3000 is 49-58db. The 7000 is at 1/4 load 52db running one a/c where as the 3000 is at about 2/3 of it's limit. The 3000 does a little better on fuel and it is half the price of the 7000. The 7000 is HEAVY at 261lbs but it is a great unit if you can swing it. I had a rear rack built for mine.

2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ
2016 Dodge 3500 900ftlbs Limited

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another approach to increase the probability for running a 13.5K air conditioner witlhout having to deal with a heavy generator could be to use paralleled Honda EU1000i generators.

As has been mentioned, the steady state output of a Honda EU2000i is 1600 watts. However, the steady state output of paralleled Honda EU1000i generators is 1800 watts. This setup, along with the starter kit, may pretty much guarantee being able to power a 13.5K air conditioner.

What you also get is of course 120 volt AC backup for smaller loads due to two generators being available in case one should fail and - maybe more importantly - you have to lift only one 29lb. generator at a time.

The cost would be lower than paralleled EU2000i generators and higher than a single high power Champion generator, but for those with physical limitations the weight to lift would be the lowest.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

HighCover
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Jay Flight 27BHS travel trailer, 50 amp service, no generator.

Thanks for the good into on AC size/power requirement. I think running just the 15kBTU with shore power is unavailable would be workable, so that's a plan.
2010 F-150, 5.4L, 3.73
2011 Edge M17

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 15K AC uses 3300 watts at startup and 2000 watts running. The 13.5K AC uses 2800 watts at startup and 1800 watts running. Pick your generator accordingly.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing 2 3000 Watt'ers parallel. Or you don't run both A/C units at the same time. It doesn't have a built in generator?

HighCover
Explorer
Explorer
OK, let me throw a wrench into gears. Been looking at a Jay Flight trailer with one 15kBTU AC unit and second 13.5kBTU AC unit.

What kind of generator set-up an I going to need?
2010 F-150, 5.4L, 3.73
2011 Edge M17

MrWizard
iagary wrote:
Also, the Champion 2000 is only rated at1600 watts in Canada. We don't want to be under powered should we decide to cross the border this summer during our Minnesota vacation!

:h
:S

i guess your being funny
crossing the border won't change your generator power

whether champion sells a different version in Canada ?
i dont know
just use your USA version :W
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
As I stated in another post, Champion is conservative in publishing what their generators can do. Their 3400 watt generator is also sold at some retailers as a 3500 watt. Exact same generator, just a different model number and label. My guess is that there is more wiggle room there as well.