cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter wire size?

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
So new to this, I'm wanting to connect a 425 watt inverter in my rig. What would be the minimum wire size to use for the 12 volt connection?
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS
18 REPLIES 18

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I=P/V

I=AMPS
p=POWER (OR WATTS)
V=VOLTS

I=425/12=35.4 AMPS

10G wire is rated 30amps.

I would go with #8
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
A friend gave me the inverter and didn't have the manual but your info helps. Thanks.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not to be smart, but, what does you inverter manual recommend?

Most inverter manuals will give you a chart with distance and wire size recommendations. Choose the recommended wire size for the distance and include a fuse near the battery sized to that wire size (fuse protects you from having your rig burn down to the ground if the wire or inverter shorts out)..

Small inverters like yours often come with short length of 10ga wire, 425W would be about 30A at 12V so 10 ga would be absolute minimum for short distance (less than 5ft), 8Ga might be better choice if distance to battery is longer..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatโ€™s the distance?

WindyNationโ€™s wire charts will help youโ€ฆ https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/choosing-right-wire-size
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad