Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just did something really stupid. Need advice

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I was attempting to mount a TV mount in the bedroom of our 5th wheel and when drilling the pilot hole it was really tough drilling and then all at once it gave way and I ended up drilling through the outside wall. The hole is about 1/4 inch and it is completely through the gelcoat. You can see through it to the outside.

What is the best way to repair this? I am literally sick to my stomach about this.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
42 REPLIES 42

Xflyhighx
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s what I did. TV is rock sold and it looks like it belongs.
2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL
TrailAir Pin Box
Hensley TS3 trailer saver
2017 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 dually
14' Porta-bote
Honda 3000is or 2 Honda 2000โ€™s
Life is good in the good old USA

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the hole is at the proper location inside for the TV mount, why not make a mistake into an asset. I would get a carriage bolt of sufficient length to go through the wall and fasten the TV mount with it. A little touch up paint on the head and you will have the most secure mount possible.
RVing since 1995.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
The 5200 is good stuff, I have a koi pond and used it to seal pipe penetrations no leaks after 11 years 4' under water.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
Its hard to believe that you would fret,.....much less post over such a little bitty mistake,...that can be fixed 20 different ways is about 2 minutes.
You better hope you NEVER make a serious mistake, you will never survive it !

OP Here,

I want to thank you for your understanding and compassion. You are truly one fine righteous person that we should all look up to and try to emulate. Your comments were so helpful!

As far as surviving I have managed over the years to make it through both multiple heart attacks and strokes and 5 vessel bypass surgery just to name a few. So if drilling a hole through the side of my almost brand new 5th wheel upsets me and provokes you this much to make your comments then to bad. Your the one I feel sorry for.

Dave

Sorry you took my statement so harshly. I more expected a reply like,..........
"Yeah, you probably right, I really am making a big deal over nothing"
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone wrote that "it is hard to believe that the OP would fret" about this. I fully understand the OP's distress! Frankly, my trailer is my very favorite personal possession of all time -- it is essentially a family member. And I think that a lot of us feel that way. The first time I dinged the exterior, I was pretty upset. After the 100th time, not so much.

The poor thing has been dragged through thorn bushes (pinstripes!), raked by tree branches (decorative foliage!), splattered with stainful bugs (camo!), etc. Whenever DW catches sight of me touching the latest painful blemish, she says, "Don't worry -- chicks dig scars!" ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
drill bit stops, harbor freight, $3.99 for set of 7.
bumpy

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
DanKirk wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
OP, if I had a nickel for all of the ICD ("inadvertent cosmetic damage") I have inflicted on my poor trailer, I could afford a new unblemished trailer! But what fun would that be?

Here is an easy tip for avoiding "drill-through:" Put a little flag of masking tape on the drill bit to show "this far, and no farther." When the flag hits the wall, stop!

Don't ask how I learned this trick.

Another option is to slide a socket over the drill bit that only allows the bit to penetrate as far as you'd like. Once the bit bites, the socket will stop it from going too deep.

Yeah, the OP said it gave way and went through all at once so tape wouldnโ€™t have helped. Iโ€™ve used a block of wood before. Drill through and leave it around the bit as a shoulder.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Its hard to believe that you would fret,.....much less post over such a little bitty mistake,...that can be fixed 20 different ways is about 2 minutes.

OP Here,

I want to thank you for your understanding and compassion. You are truly one fine righteous person that we should all look up to and try to emulate. Your comments were so helpful!

As far as surviving I have managed over the years to make it through both multiple heart attacks and strokes and 5 vessel bypass surgery just to name a few. So if drilling a hole through the side of my almost brand new 5th wheel upsets me and provokes you this much to make your comments then to bad. Your the one I feel sorry for.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
After the 5200 try a couple of these for conversation. https://www.ebay.com/bhp/bullet-hole-stickers

I have one of those over a parking lot grocery cart dimple in my dakota door. have to look very close to tell it is fake.
looked good? on a black one of those small chrysler retro cars a few years back.
bumpy

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
After the 5200 try a couple of these for conversation. https://www.ebay.com/bhp/bullet-hole-stickers
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DanKirk wrote:

Another option is to slide a socket over the drill bit that only allows the bit to penetrate as far as you'd like. Once the bit bites, the socket will stop it from going too deep.

I have a set of various sized stops that slide over the drill bit and tighten with an allen wrench.
bumpy

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,
Sounds like you have the fix to your problem. If you wanted an "invisible" fix, marine service guys can do the job. They would back up the hole with foam or paper, fill with fiberglass and then apply a gel coat. The gelcoat is mixed from small color samples so that a match is made to the faded finish. I've watched this being done and the hole is gone after the expert finishes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tip about 5200. It isn't storable. Once open soon spoiled. Buy the smallest size you can get away with.