Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

kitchen sink

hogbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
Has anyone ever changed out your duel bay kitchen sink for a single . Are RV sinks the same size as household sinks. Thank you for any help. Kenny
9 REPLIES 9

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
This sure helps - rebuilding the whole rig :). It irks me to look how poorly RVs are suited for "living" as opposed to short term camping.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Most counter tops in RV are still 24" front to back - not counting the front "lip" if there is one. Same as residential counters.
May be true today but wasn't the case in 1971, my countertop was definitely more shallow (not 24").

I rectified that:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
My stainless steel sink was the same as those used for bars. It is not as deep in the front to back dimension as a residential sink. This makes sense since the counter top was also shallower.

Most counter tops in RV are still 24" front to back - not counting the front "lip" if there is one. Same as residential counters.

Getting a sink with faucet holes should make it easier, as you can move it up against the back wall, as long as there is enough clearance btw the cabinet board and faucet nuts under the counter.

Don't remember now but I "think" in my quest I had come across sinks with faucet holes spaced differently - closer to each other - than usual 4", and those were bar sinks. Meaning, that regular 2-hole faucet wouldn't fit in there. The one that I bought - in the link above - is normal 4" on centers, and fits front to back OK too. I wanted something bigger than a bar sink, to be able to put a decent pot or frying pan in there. Living for several weeks or months you want more from your kitchen than when you are camping for a weekend.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My stainless steel sink was the same as those used for bars. It is not as deep in the front to back dimension as a residential sink. This makes sense since the counter top was also shallower.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
hogbob wrote:
Has anyone ever changed out your duel bay kitchen sink for a single .

I have. Wanted more counter space, as double sink was leaving me with mere 8" on the left and 6" on the right. You can't do anything on 8" space. Also, wanted to replace plastic with stainless.

hogbob wrote:

Are RV sinks the same size as household sinks.

Don't count on it. Only height (from front to back) is the same. Other dimensions can be different. Residential sinks can be wider (left to right) and narrower, there are deep and shallow bowls, and some have non-standard spacing for faucets (I think those are called "bar sinks").

I wanted a single stainless sink narrower than a typical 20" wide residential (18" bowl) - because this wouldn't have saved me much space - but not too narrow. After a lot of searching found this: Elkay Dayton D11719. 17" wide left rim to right, 14" wide bowl. It was few bucks cheaper on Amazon. Make sure you get the clips, they are different from plain old 20" model.

As noted, you'll have to replace the countertop and make a new cutout for your new sink.

Drain pipes are same diameter, but you will need a few pieces from Home Depot - new P-trap, maybe something else. You also might have to mess a little with water PEX pipes if faucet in new sink will not be close to the pipes. Mine was only one inch away, so I was able to pull PEX pipes to the side a little. Otherwise you'll have to attach new PEX pieces or Sharkbite fittings and flexible supply lines.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best to check cutout opening in counter top..........then measure replacement sinks

We couldn't find one that was same size as cutout. And there wasn't enough counter top left (front/back edges) to enlarge for next size sink

Same stuff used but not always same sizing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I most cases, you can simply disconnect the plumbing and hardware, remove the sink and pop in a direct fit replacement. No need to change counters, etc.

On our model, the '14 & '15 years have dual sinks, and the new ones have single basins. Some of the folks are working out trades because they want one or the other. I initially wanted a single basin, but decided later to keep the dual basin because you can fill one side to do dishes with using less water. That's important to me when I'm boondocking.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'd probably want to replace the counter top, something that is easily done. You can buy prefab counter top at any of the big box hardware stores. Then it is just a matter of cutting to correct sized hole for the new sink, which you can buy at the same place. If they don't have the size you want they can order it. You can reuse a faucet or get a new one. Then you'll need re-plumb the drains and water supplies.

Depending on how 'handy' you are it is a weekend or two job. You'll need at the minimum a saber saw: link and a drill link

And a some plumbing tools
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper