cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Koehler 5 confidant generator

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
My genny is supposed to run both ac units. When I start the front ac everything runs perfect and gen. is still putting out 120V. After a few minutes I switch on the second ac and it immediately kills the gen. It used to drag the voltage down to 90 volts but would hold now when the second ac is switched in it kills the gen. like right now. Anybody got an idea of whats causing this. ?
If it aint broke fix it till it is
38 REPLIES 38

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS wrote:
In your case I would check for bad connections and weak breakers.As much as an RV flexes going through it's life. Things get loose. Also I have noticed that. When it really gets hot the problems show up more often.

Mine never throws a circuit breaker nor blows fuses. It just shuts down when 2 ac's try to run..

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
In your case I would check for bad connections and weak breakers.As much as an RV flexes going through it's life. Things get loose. Also I have noticed that. When it really gets hot the problems show up more often.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same generator in my 96 GBM and have noticed occasionally the circuit breaker in the main box will trip running both AC's. I don't run the AC's on the generator often but twice when the temps got over 95 I noticed this. Mine happens after running for a while so I would not think it was the hard start capacitor. I was thinking it was more like a weak circuit breaker or the governor needing adjustment. It only seems to happen in the hot weather, I use both AC's to exercise the genset and it doesn't trip in 70-80 degrees.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
John I have been working on Generators since 1968. Do I qualify.As a certified generator mechanic.

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
OK to end the debate Iam going to run one ac at a time, we dont use it that much anyhow so not going to drop a ton of money in it. Its normally just my wife and I and the rear ac will freeze you out in desert heat.otherwise both ac's run ok by themselves while powering everything else. I'm not going to tear into it because those units are a bear to work on.
Thanks for all your replys..

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS wrote:
...snip...or you have something wrong with the engine gov.

How about the brushes? Or the surface they strike. Maybe the AC's need a good filter, condenser, evaporator coil cleaning to draw less.

Turning up the gov reminds me of all the shade tree mechanics that would turn up the car idle so the car wouldn't die at the stop light. Yes it works, but does it fix the true problem?

Best to either live with one AC running, or take it to a certified gen mechanic. Those that work on generators not knowing what they're doing, can get hurt or killed even.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it. It worked but would always drop to 90 volts. Then you were burning things up with out knowing it. To me voltage should never drop below 109.So you have been overloading it all the time and didn't know it. So your unit was not able to carry both airs from the start or you have something wrong with the engine gov.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
What is your location ? If your every traveling in tx take it to Texas and he could look it over.
If you could find a retired retired tech like him in your area it would be great just ask me how I know.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You need expert diagnostics to narrow down WHY the generator USED TO and now it won't. That does not imply the generator ever SHOULD have been used on both it merely will explain the is's and was's.

One or two of three probabilities in order of chance

1. One of the units is DAMAGED and is drawing more power than it used to

2. You have added more generator load somewhere and don't know about it

3. A stator winding in the generator has burned.

Even with a hard start kit, if voltage sags to below 105 volts when STARTING a second air, that's the end of the game right there. Not running, STARTING the air.

Sure, something expensive may WORK on low voltage. When cooked on WRONG voltage you are going to pay through the snot-box for the privilege of abusing that expensive item. It's learn or pay. Like the stock market, or entering the freeway on an off ramp.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
If it never did run both AC units. Then it was not supposed to run both at one time.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
donandmax wrote:
Its a 96 Damon Intruder.. Like I said it runs one ac just fine @ 120 volts. Plus I can run everything else while the on ac is running. I t just wont take two.

I think we all understand that. I think a good SWAG is that when you run two AC's you're creating a brown out condition much like a city gets during an extreme heat spell. The Kohler computer board knows enough to shut down the motor to stop any damage from occurring.

This is an excerpt from an add on EMS unit that many of us use when on shore power so as not to burn out our AC's.

"High/Low Voltage Protection:

Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV."

If you're running at 90volts then you know why the statement about saving your nickels came from.

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Again I'm not a generator type of guy, other then I dinged on my Kohler 4K. From that experience I can only SWAG at what might be going on with yours.

The Kohler has a computer board in it that senses the voltage and will kill the motor when the voltage gets low enough to damage things. For me it was a bad voltage regulator that was my problem. Kohler's are know for this going bad. Holding down the start button would defeat the board though.

I'm guessing that your voltage regulator is working correctly, but the generator might not be putting out the power that it once did to barely (90 volts according to you) run two AC's. Since you have a Kohler RV generator your rig can not be very new, since they got out of the RV business awhile back. I would think things are starting to get weak with the old gal. If you look in the Kohler manual you'll see you need to do a certain amount of maintenance to keep them running strong other then just oil changes.

I had very good luck with this business when it came to working on my Kohler A.S.A.P. Give them a call they are very helpful and they know what they are doing.
Its a 96 Damon Intruder.. Like I said it runs one ac just fine @ 120 volts. Plus I can run everything else while the on ac is running. I t just wont take two.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Used to work fine at 90 volts?

Want my guess?

Start saving your nickels. That low voltage has eventually fried a motor winding probably in the 2nd roof air dual fan. More guesswork. It's going to get worse. Burned windings always grow bigger and get worse.

Uneducated RV'ing is not PLUG AND PLAY

It's PLUG AND PAY

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Again I'm not a generator type of guy, other then I dinged on my Kohler 4K. From that experience I can only SWAG at what might be going on with yours.

The Kohler has a computer board in it that senses the voltage and will kill the motor when the voltage gets low enough to damage things. For me it was a bad voltage regulator that was my problem. Kohler's are know for this going bad. Holding down the start button would defeat the board though.

I'm guessing that your voltage regulator is working correctly, but the generator might not be putting out the power that it once did to barely (90 volts according to you) run two AC's. Since you have a Kohler RV generator your rig can not be very new, since they got out of the RV business awhile back. I would think things are starting to get weak with the old gal. If you look in the Kohler manual you'll see you need to do a certain amount of maintenance to keep them running strong other then just oil changes.

I had very good luck with this business when it came to working on my Kohler A.S.A.P. Give them a call they are very helpful and they know what they are doing.