cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Step magnetic switch and magnet

randco
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Damon Escaper 4076 DP. I am trying to locate the magnetic switch location for my coach. I am assuming that the switch is located somewhere on the door frame. but I can't find it. Any information will be appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the 909506000 controller is the controller that your rig had. There were five variations of the 9095XXXXX controllers and all of them use a N/O door switch. Yours uses a N/O exposed contact switch which you discovered. The different variations were just improvements but made little or no change in the operation of the steps. So the SKU you received is just LCI's way of cataloging the same part as the 909506000 controller.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you MrWizard.. The one thing I forgot to post is that the step model is the 3rd and 4th digit of the step part number. in my case 903809000 the Kwikee step model is 38.

MrWizard
good to hear you got it fixed, and the part numbers for any future reference by other members

thank you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I am late in getting back to what I found. My coach doesn't have any magnetic switches of magnets. On the door frame hinge side there are four 3/16" domed brass pins that have a slight spring load and have a 1/16" travel.. On the door there are a matching set of spring loaded domed brass pins that have about 1/4 inch travel. Doug pretty much nailed it in an earlier post. The top two pins are for the auto door lock and the bottom two are for the step. I downloaded a Kwikee manual and followed the troubleshooting steps. By unplugging the 4-way connector I was able to diagnose the problem. After 14 years of service the step controller died. I Googled every number I could find and didn't have any positive results. I called Kwikee now Lippert and spoke to a very knowledgeable woman. She researched to see if there was a replacement for the controller. After about five minutes of cross referencing she gave me a part number 379606 which was the replacement for the old controller. I was able to purchase it for $155.65 with Amazon Prime. The controller came with new wiring and two types of magnetic door switches that I didn't plan to use. I removed the old controller and installed the new one. Plugged in the cables and it worked like a charm. As an FYI my step model is 903809000. Thanks again for your input.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will give you a way to find the magnet.

Take any feromagnegit (Magnets stick to it) kitchen knife or spoon

Flat side to the screen door run it along the outside edger (Flat to the edge) you will find the magnet Or you can use a compass to do it. same way run it along the edge and it will defelect when it gets close to the magnet.

Switch is in the jam next to the magnet.

NOTE: We are all used to seeing ther magnetic switches on doors and windows and in the home security section of _____ (Fill in store))____ The actual switch is much much smaller. A small tube less than a quarter inch in diameter and about an inch long.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Doug... We returned from a trip on Sunday. While driving a motorist that had been following me informed me that the step was extended. When I got home, I downloaded a Series 38 Kwikee manual and followed their test procedures. First I tested the motor, and it was okay. Next I checked the 4-way connector from the motorhome was okay. Then I checked the other half of the 4-way connector that goes to the step control module. It didn't test, so I concluded that the control module needs to be replaced. As for the Step magnet... I was more curious than anything as to the location.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
What makes you think the Step magnetic switch is your problem? Doug

I always thought that the steps would retract when the engine is ON (or in gear) without regard to the magnetic switch in the door OR the position of the "step over-ride" switch.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
randco wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. To clarify... I am trying to locate a switch that makes the stairs retract when the ignition is on and the door is closed.

My door has either 4 or 5 plunger type contact "pins" on the hinge side of the door that align with copper or brass "pins" on the frame. I suspect at least a couple of the "pins" are part of the auto door lock when the coach is taken out of Neutral.

Most door electric lock systems the door hinge side plunger pins there are only 2. Even with the Brake system. So, if you have 4 pins, the other 2 pins are the ground to and from the door to the step control. To determine, electrical tape the 2 top pins and then close the door. See if the Auto lock works. IF IT DOES NOT, those 2 pins are the step switch pins. IF IT DOES, the bottom 2 pins are the Step switch pins. What makes you think the Step magnetic switch is your problem? Doug

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
The steps have a main operating switch. On position operates the steps based on the door position only.
With the main switch in the on position and with the door open you can find the magnetic switch by using a magnet in in your hand and moving it around to suspected magnet switch location.

The same magnetic switch is used to operate the steps with the main switch on or off. Off position makes the stairs retract when the ignition is on and the door is closed.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response. To clarify... I am trying to locate a switch that makes the stairs retract when the ignition is on and the door is closed.

My door has either 4 or 5 plunger type contact "pins" on the hinge side of the door that align with copper or brass "pins" on the frame. I suspect at least a couple of the "pins" are part of the auto door lock when the coach is taken out of Neutral.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Travelin2 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
There are 3 types of step switches and they do NOT have to be magnetic.
1. The standard Magnetic switch installed on the metal door frame with the self adhesive tape
2. The Magnetic ROUND switch that is installed in a 5/8 hole drilled into the door frame with the other magnet drilled and installed into the door to match the frame switch
3. The NON magnetic standard PIN switch installed in the hinge side door frame. Doug

I misunderstood. I thought he was talking about the switch that turns on the step light not the one that activates the step. My step had a magnetic switch located under the RV that turned on the light, but had the switch at the bottom of the door on the hinge side that activated the mechanism.

If you had 2 magnets that is extremely rare. The Kwikee 1 magnet controls both the steps and the under light. Doug

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
My Damon Outlaw of similar vintage has the switch activated by a magnet ON THE SCREEN part of the door.

It broke loose and my eventual fix was two plastic tie wraps.

The sensor is a small strip of black plastic mounted inside the edge of the frame.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. The standard Magnetic switch installed on the metal door frame with the self adhesive tape
2. The Magnetic ROUND switch that is installed in a 5/8 hole drilled into the door frame with the other magnet drilled and installed into the door to match the frame switch
3. The NON magnetic standard PIN switch installed in the hinge side door frame. Doug

I misunderstood. I thought he was talking about the switch that turns on the step light not the one that activates the step. My step had a magnetic switch located under the RV that turned on the light, but had the switch at the bottom of the door on the hinge side that activated the mechanism.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad