cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Landing Gear 30 amp fuse

pcguilford
Explorer
Explorer
After market remote system installed on camper with 3 different control panels, 2 remote key pads. Each panel controls 2 sections. The forward section controls the landing gear jacks and fwd bed slide. Upon purchasing used from Camping World (used of course) all the remotes worked. They hooked me up and we left Calera AL and drove to Huntsville AL. Upon arrival the remote or push button for jacks did not work, eventually found a 30 amp in line fuse next to battery had blown. After researching on here, found it may have been from raising or lowering too much so I marked the legs to avoid this issue again. However the remote has not worked since then for the jacks but the bed slide is good. When I push the button for remote I can hear a clicking in the panel so I just gave up on remote system and use the push button. I had been in camper for about 6 months with work and when I was leaving I noticed the jack motor sounded like it was struggling when going up. I got it home, raised it up and fuse blew several times. When I got to camping world, I showed the Service Agent who checked me in. I was notified that the motor was bad but they no longer make the motor and to replace it they would have to replace the entire landing gear system. I picked up camper after work was completed, got it home and during raising could hear the motor was still struggling to raise, not as bad but eventually fuse blew again. I park my camper in drive way with tires on flat surface but front of camper is on lowered section about 6-7 degrees down. I returned with it the next day, had discussions with shop foreman and we decided to run a dedicated power/ground wire from battery directly to the motor and take it out of the remote system completely. Went camping over the weekend, raised and lowered about 1-2 degrees with no issues, came home and after raising about 3 degrees on my driveway fuse blew. I replaced fuse 2 more times and maybe got about 10 turns out of motor with both. I have appointment scheduled to take it back again next weekend but really am at a loss for what else can be done or what the issue maybe. Information on motor: PN 141893, 12VDC, 30amp, RPM 7140, Ratio 35.3.1, Model 1A065012-02-01. 2009 Jayco Eagle 345 BHS Deluxe Edition - Dry Weight 11K. Fuses blown with camper filled with personal belongings and was emptied before taking it in for service.
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
11k dry weight.......even if 15K GVWR

Landing legs are lifting front section of trailer.......basically the pin weight

NOT the whole weight of trailer

6500# better....sure it is it has 1000# more lifting power

But that 5500# S/B adequate to lift front of trailer equal to your wet pin weight

30A Circuit breaker vs 30A fuse....
CB still going to trip just easier cause you don;t have to replace BUT is not going to cure 'over amp' situation that is causing fuse to blow
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pcguilford
Explorer
Explorer
Stew47 - per camping world and my own research the motor installed with camper is no longer made and it is not compatible so everything had to be replaced. I will look into replacing 30amp fuse with 30amp breaker when I get it back...saw that in a couple of different postings.

j-d / old biscuit - I would agree with the possible binding. The jack system is now completely stand alone (power wire and ground wire directly from battery - cut out of remote system) so it doesn't leave too many possibilities of what it could be. I am taking camper back tomorrow and i will suggest this diagnosis to them but they just replaced everything so you would think they could tell if it binded when installing the legs.

SAR Tracker - I asked about that issue cause it happened to me on previous motor. This one, as camping world says just strokes out when it gets to end and does not blow the fuse. I know this cause the 4 times I raised the legs, the fuse never blew.

Another thought and in talking to Stromberg Carlson they said the motor I have is a high speed 5500lb, which may not be adequate enough for my rig (11K dry weight). I currently have fresh water tank about 1/2 full, clothes in fwd bed area and installed a washer/dryer combo. They recommended I talk to camping world about heavy duty 6500lb instead. Is the 5500lb motor strong enough or is SC just trying to get more money?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Landing gear is BINDING

With single motor it has to drive master leg plus cross bar to slave leg
Reduction gear box, cross bar, drive screws in each leg etc.

Shear pins usually break so I would be looking into drive screw assemblies on each leg for binding

Hitch up to truck and run legs up so trailer is supported by truck
Disconnect cross bar to slave leg and then operate master leg and check how well it runs
Then operate slave leg by turning cross bar by hand-----it should move easily if not binding

That model number is for a Stromberg Carlson Landing Gear.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Stromberg+Carlson+landing+gear
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
I blew a couple of fuses once when I did't allow the motor to come to a complete stop when changing direction (think lowering to far, then immediately switching to raise before the motor stopped for a second). After learning that, I was fine.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I'd venture:

1. Remote control for stuff like this is just looking for trouble...Points of Failure

2. The wiring is inadequate for the load

3. Replacing Fuse with Circuit Breaker is a very good idea

4. SOMETHING IS BINDING

Binding can overload wiring, blow fuses, and damage motors/gears. But after wiring, fuses, and motors/gears are replaced, it's still Binding.

Disclaimer: We don't have Slides, so all this is based on reading the experiences of others, over a period of years. For us, Reading about Slides ==> No Slides.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I blew fuse a few times when it reached travel limit. Replaced with a resetting type fuse. What you have though sounds like something is on a bind. If old motor worked that hard plus New landing gear system works that hard.....something else is going on. Not sure what. Btw I think the need for a whole new landing gear system sounds fishy but I donโ€™t know whole story.