cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED tail light upgrade

sonny_drake
Explorer
Explorer
My tail lights need to be replaced. The red lens cover snap pins on the mounting bracket are broken and to keep the lens cover secure, I use grizzly tape. I just replaced the tail lights on my utility trailer with waterproof LED kit I see that CW has a LED upgrade that may be surface mounted, though not sure, but I don't want something that is connected via the bulb socket. Has anyone made such upgrade, cutting the bulb socket connector off and hard wiring the new lights to the existing wires?
2003 4x4 F250 Crewcab, 6.0 L Powerstroke, 6.75 ft bed
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Sidewinder pin box
5 REPLIES 5

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would try to obtain a lamp that has an SAE number attached to it. My bus has a four foot wide third brake light that is impossible to miss because it is higher than the roof of the toad. Down here "uninsured driver" takes on new meaning ๐Ÿ˜ž "

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those rear stop/turn/tail lights, best to ID the manufacturer and get their LED version. That way the holes all line up, you can seal them back again, and you know your lighting is compliant with motor vehicle codes.
For indoor lighting, do what you want. Mix, match, swap. Maybe even clearance lights... but the main ones, nope. Get legitimate replacements.
Our Class C uses Bargman. They offer kits to replace the incandescent with LED within the original housing. LED elements plugged into the original light sockets. The sockets were much of the reliability problems we were having. Also, the kits added up to more than the price of full replacements. The replacements go hard wired to the coach, eliminating those problem sockets.
Eastern Marinehas a lot of trailer and RV lighting products.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
ChooChoo wrote:
I just swapped out the guts of the lights and called it a day.

Could you tell or lead me to "swapping out the guts". I just converted my kitchen overhead fluorescent to LED keeping fixture. Would like to change out taillights.

My Tail light manufacturer, Optronics, has the same light available in both Incandescent and LED. The base and the lens are the same, with the exception, the left one has an White LED Insert for the plate and the incandescent has just a clear lens portion.

Here are some photos of my swap.

And here is the youtube video of my LED Lighting and Safety upgrade before I travelled 3500 miles this summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTKXnr0-Hx4
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChoo wrote:
I just swapped out the guts of the lights and called it a day.

Could you tell or lead me to "swapping out the guts". I just converted my kitchen overhead fluorescent to LED keeping fixture. Would like to change out taillights.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Try and get something that is similar size, so you can cover up any holes. Also, some companies make LED versions of their products (My Roo, for example). I just swapped out the guts of the lights and called it a day. Check eTrailer.com for surface mount lights.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized