cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LEND A HAND RAILING????

coffebreak
Explorer
Explorer
ordered a lend a hand door rail by Stromberg Carlson to install on out trailer. i drilled a couple small pilot holes next to the door and i have no stud that i can attach it to. the trailer is made of metal studs all around.
so i have to attach it just to the gel coat coating and the plywood behind it.
so my question???? what would be the best way to install for support? toggle bolts or those metal screw in posts and than screw in the screw into it. but the screws that come with it are pretty heavy duty.
has anyone installed one of these without hitting a stud and if so any suggestions as to what u used or does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks for any help in this matter.
below is a link to the hand rail that i bought.

lend a hand rail
7 REPLIES 7

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might be able to angle the screws towards the door frame a little and catch enough of the stud/framing. I did that on a previous TT when installing a Stromberg Carlson soft touch grab handle. Screws may need to be slightly longer but not too long that they go through the inside wall.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Bolt it all the way thru the wall with a steel plate or something on the inside. I predict a future disaster if only attached to the skin.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, and I was convinced that there was no stud to hit, I would drill all the way through the wall and install a wood or metal backing plate on the inside of the trailer. I would drill through that backing plate and run bolts all the way through. I would fill the bolt holes with silicone caulk, and I would put a square of butyl tape at the outside of the hole, between the rail and the side of the camper.

It's pretty radical, but it would give you the necessary support for your rail. There's not much that's worse than a safety feature that is not safe.

I would have to be completely convinced that there was no stud available before I would do this. That would be a difficult thing to convince me of.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You CANNOT install it without hitting a stud or using a backer of some sort on the inside wall. Doing so will just cause a failure down the road and could cause serious injury when it breaks loose. Take a piece of wood and stain it and drill long enough holes to attach to that wood backer. USUALLY, when you look at the lend a hand, the mount screws are offset to one side so it fits flush against the door frame. That means it SHOULD hit the stud for that side of the door. Doug

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I foresee a large hole in the side of your trailer where the screws pull through the outer skin. Disaster waiting to happen.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Use a plastic concrete anchor screw. Goosh a tiny bit of adhesive into the freshly drilled hole set the anchor then screw down the bar. The adhesive seems to form a rivet-like head behind the wood and helps the anchor stay in place. I have four bars in the stick & brick and they really save my rear...

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We have one of those. I was lucky and got a good enough amount of wood for the screws.

I think the wordless connection would still be helpful for balance but not for grandma putting her whole weight on the railing.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed