cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Let's talk Dana 80 axle temps

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed my rear hubs are awfully hot to the touch this summer after cruising at no more than 50 mph for an hour on the highway.

No dragging brakes here. I am going to get a contactless thermometer soon.

Dana 80 rear, Ford says 9,450 lb on the GAWR rear, is this derated?
23 REPLIES 23

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I assume we are talking about the hubs (out by the wheels), not the differential (aka: pumpkin) in the middle.

Unless you are heavily loaded or have other reason to believe you are putting more strain than normal on the bearings, I would pull them apart to make sure they still have grease in them and there is no other apparent damage.
You have obviously never greased your rear ends bearings. I am trying real hard not to laugh at that statement.
Oh to heck with it.:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B

Another internet expert exposed.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. The Dana 80 is de-rated by Ford to match the tire load capacity.
The Dana 80 is rated for 11,000 pounds by it's manufacturer.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cruising for an hour at 50 MPH in the Summer will heat everything up to operating temperature. Thirty minutes will too! If anything is above operating temperature, have it checked.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest changing the fluid. It is easy to do. Biggest issue is to insure you drain fluid fully. Will need to jack up each side one at a time to get old fluid out of hubs. You must do the reverse when filling to get new fluid into each hub area. Final fill level would be done after accomplishing alternating.
Inspect old fluid for metal debris.
OP: do you have rear drums or disc brakes? My discs run hotter than drums!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Full floater outer axle bearings are oiled by the diff, not grease lubed.
9450 is about right, but axles get โ€œderatedโ€ depending on the vehicle theyโ€™re attached to.
And how hot is awfully hot? If you can hold your finger on them, nothing is burning up.
And presuming you have full diff oil and within service limits.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I assume we are talking about the hubs (out by the wheels), not the differential (aka: pumpkin) in the middle.

Unless you are heavily loaded or have other reason to believe you are putting more strain than normal on the bearings, I would pull them apart to make sure they still have grease in them and there is no other apparent damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Switch to a full synthetic gear lube.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
How's that fluid level? They play with GVWR but I see no reason that they would play with axle ratings. What are you towing?
Why don't you have an infrared thermo already? If you have a covid forehead tester you already have one.

Perhaps his rear end has Covid?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
How's that fluid level? They play with GVWR but I see no reason that they would play with axle ratings. What are you towing?
Why don't you have an infrared thermo already? If you have a covid forehead tester you already have one.
Puma 30RKSS