Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LI battery destruction testing

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This is about the battery bank for a leaf. It does a lot to belay fears of catastrophic failure:

cell destruction (deliberate)

You do have to scroll down a bit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
4 REPLIES 4

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of Lithium Ion batteries going nuclear and just catching fire.
Bought a 40 volt chain saw for light work.
Charging the battery it smelled like it was ready to catch fire. The case surrounding the actual batter is generous so it only got warm.
I'm going to charge it outside the garage on an external outlet from now on.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yotta take a look at the sheet metal top of my kitchen hobby table.

Wodda idiot I am. Connected the wrong voltage regulator to a salvaged NOOK Li-ion battery.

I'm almost deaf but I did not miss the "KA-POW!" in the bedroom. Rushed out to FOUL smelling smoke and glowing embers strewn across the concrete floor. That'll learn me to not connect 24% over-voltage to a lithium rechargeable battery.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Cool! And interesting, thanks. However it doesn't show what happens under overcharging or catastrophic short circuit.
Depends on how long each event happens as to the results in my research. There can be fires in each case but, again, depends on how long the batteries remain in those conditions. Yes, the batteries could hold up for HOURS or even DAYS under those conditions. LI batteries typically used for RV duty are a different, less volatile chemistry than those used in EV's. Much safer.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Cool! And interesting, thanks. However it doesn't show what happens under overcharging or catastrophic short circuit.

From you topic title I thought for a minute that you had (inadvertently) done a test to destruction trial!